Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I wanted to install Ubuntu on part of my hard drive. I was…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I wanted...

Second opinion] I wanted to install Ubuntu on part of my hard drive. I was wondering how to restart my computer from the bootable USB drive I made with Ubuntu on it. I know I have to press F2 to change the boot order on my computer to not do Windows first. But I tried all the USB options prior to the Windows by putting them in slots one through three and it still booted Windows.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

Acer E5-575G

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your computer?

I tried changing the boot order for the USB options to go before Windows but that didn't seem to work. The only option I haven't tried is putting all three USB booting options before Windows. But I'm afraid even when I shut down Windows and my computer; Windows is still in charge and thus making it difficult for me to boot from a USB. Somehow I have to disable Windows without disturbing it. I guess my question is, 'When I boot up my computer in the future, how do I select which system the computer boots from: Windows or Ubuntu; and how do I do this without having to change the boot order every time by pressing F2?'

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That should be sufficient.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Email
The three USB options being placed before the boot from Windows option didn't seem to work when placed first. The three options for USB are: USB-CDROM, USB FDD, and USB HDD. There are a total of nine bootable options including two Network boot options. I do not have a CDROM on this computer. The only way I can get to the System Menu is by powering on my computer; which takes me to the Windows welcome page, logging in... then shutting down from within Windows. I can not turn off my computer from the welcome page. So, once I have powered down my computer according to Windows, I can then power on and press F2 when the ACER logo appears. If it does not boot from the USB, I must log back into Windows and shut down again from within Windows. I'm wondering if instead of having Windows as the alternative to all the USB boot options, I should put something else prior to Windows in the boot order. However, I am unsure how I would shut down my computer if something occurs that I don't understand and get back to the System Menu.My hope for the future is that upon powering on my computer, I am placed with a question as to whether I would like to run Windows or Ubuntu. It puts me in a difficult position if I have to configure my System boot order every time to manually re-order the boot configuration.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/6/2017
Email technician: John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 4 months ago
John Lohr
John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

At this point, you still need to install Ubuntu, correct?

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist