Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

My email server was having issues and I had set it up to run…

Customer Question
Hey! so my email...

Hey! so my email server was having issues and I had set it up to run through gmail temporarily. Gmail has deleted all our previous emails from our old server and now when I go to set it back up there is no way to retrieve any past emails except in gmail. How do I get my old emails back on our server?

Technician's Assistant: How's your internet connection? Are you checking Gmail from a browser or a mail client (e.g. Outlook)?

Browser, internet connection is good

Technician's Assistant: Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from receiving mail?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Email
12/5/2017
Email technician: hongkongpom, Other replied 4 months ago
hongkongpom

Hello Gmail never deletes emails from their server no matter what you do. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to see any past emails on any computer using a browser connected to gmail.com

A couple of suggestions:

Export the ost from a computer directly connected to Gmail to a pst and import that into your email server configuration (if yours allows it) or import a pst file.

Try adding recent: to the beginning of the gmail username (eg recent***@******.***.) which will download the last 30 days of archived emails from their server.

No gmail has deleted the emails from another server that I set up to use temporarily with Gmail

As I mentioned, Gmail doesn't delete any emails. What usually happens is that the mail client marks the mails as being read on Gmail and then another client can't download them. That's why I suggested using the "recent:" option

What does export an OST mean?

O​ST is the file when connected to a domain using IMAP. You would need to export the emails as a PST which you can then use to import into another computer. You can't export an OST file if you see OST files in the Outlook mail folder. You need to open the emails in Outlook which opens the associated OST file. Then you would export those emails as a PST file.

hongkongpom
hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Other