Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

How do I stop email from my regular e-mail account going to…

Customer Question
How do I stop...

How do I stop email from my regular e-mail account going to gmail?

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Gmail? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Through an email application, Thunderbird

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Not much as I'm not sure what to do.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Email
12/1/2017
Email technician: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. When you say "regular email account" what do you mean? Do you have another email account forwarding to gmail?

No, I use Thunderbird as my primary e-mail app and I also have a gmail account with a different username. The e-mail to my primary account is being picked up by gmail causing great confusion and missed e-mails.

Do you have 2 accounts email set up in thunderbird?

No

So you just have one gmail account in thunderbird, is that correct?

So are you saying you do not want the emails to be available from that account on gmail.com?

I do not want email sent to my primary Thunderbird account showing up on my gmail account. Sometimes the e-mail is duplicated and sometimes it only shows up on the gmail account.

Do you have this account set up any place else like a mobile phone? Also do you now if you are using POP3 or IMAP for your thunderbird set up?

POP3 for the Thunderbird setup. The Thunderbird app is running on several computers.

Ok that is likely your issue. When you are using POP3 thunderbird is going to check the gmail server for new messages. However if you checked those messages from another computer thunderbird may detect the message has already been downloaded so in that case it wont download it. Basically when you are using multiple computers or devices you do not want to use POP3. I would suggest you switch to IMAP which will keep everything in sync across all computers.

Switching to IMAP should solve your issues. Here is a tutorial on how you make the change:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switch-pop-imap-account

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I don't understand.....Thunderbird is only running on one computer at a time. Thunderbird should never check a gmail server, as my ISP is my primary email server. I don't know if the ISP supports IMAP.....is that a requirement.
I suppose I could delete my gmail account....would that solve the problem?

If you delete your gmail account you will get no mail. Thunderbird is just an email client that checks your gmail address, it is not home to the actual address. Also I don't see what your ISP has to do with it, you told me you were just using the gmail account. I will explain further. Using POP3 means whichever thunderbird you open is going to go out to your gmail account and pull the messages down into thunderbird. This can create confusion when you have it set up on multiple computers, it doesn't matter if you are only using one at time, things can get out of sync and you can miss messages, receive duplicates etc...

IMAP simply syncs with what is in your gmail account so everything stays the same across all devices. Give this article a quick look for further explanation

http://fourpointsconsulting.co/article/email-setup-options-imap-versus-pop

The only other easy way around this without changing your set up is to only use thunderbird on one computer and check your mail on the others by signing in at gmail.com.

No I am not just using gmail......my primary email account is my isp. I also have a gmail account that has nothing to do with my primary account. The first question asked by the procedure you sent me about converting to IMAP is to ensure that my email provider supports IMAP.....I infer from that my email provider DOES have something to do with it.

I asked you if you had more than one account set up in thunderbird and you said you only had the gmail. Your ISP email account does not have anything to do with your gmail account unless you have the ISP account forwarding messages to the gmail account.

I believe I said that I only had my primary account set up in Thunderbird...which is not gmail. My primary email is***@******.*** and my gmail account is***@******.***. I have no idea how these two are connected.

Ok, so while your ISP account may require that you use POP this is not a requirement for gmail. Now if you wanted to remove the ISP account from thunderbird you could do that.

I just verified with my ISP that they do support IMAP so I will make that switch and see if it helps.
Thank you.

You are very welcome and I apologize for any confusion, it can be difficult over chat sometimes to get a full scope of the situation. Please take a moment before you go to rate my service by clicking the stars at the top. Thank you and have a great weekend.