Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I just downloaded and installed Thunderbird, and i'm

Customer Question
I just downloaded and...

I just downloaded and installed Thunderbird, and i'm noticing it doesn't seem to have a spam filter. Is there an add on for that? or am I just missing it somehow?

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

Yahoo

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Yahoo? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Web browser

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Uh, none, I guess?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Email
11/30/2017
Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?
  2. What email account do you have in Thunderbird?
  3. Is the email account added as POP or IMAP?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Windows
sbcglobal.net
POP

Thank you for writing back with that information. Please give me a moment to type the answer and procedures for you.

Thank you for patiently waiting.

Regarding your Thunderbird, it has a built-in Spam filter that will run alongside with your email server's spam filter. That is, if your sbcglobal email server receives spam emails, they are in the spam folder or junk folder. When Thunderbird downloads them, they too will be in the Junk or Spam folder if you setup the email as IMAP.

However, since your email is setup as POP, it will only download emails from the INBOX. Therefore, if the emails are in the INBOX in the sbcglobal server, it means that these spam emails were missed by the spam filter of sbcglobal. That is the reason why you are getting them too in your Inbox.

Now, Thunderbird's junk email is to be TRAINED first. That is, you can enable it so that it will MARK those spam emails as JUNK. Then you can manually mark emails as Junk so that every time another email is received from the same sender or of the same type, Thunderbird knows it is junk and will put them in the Junk folder.

To enable Junk filtering, here are the steps:

1. Open your Thunbderbird
  2. Click on Tools menu, click on OPTIONS. If the menu bar is hidden, press the ALT key to show it.
  3. Then click the SECURITY tab
  4. Then click JUNK sub-tab
  5. Click to check "When I mark messages as junk" so that manually marked junk emails are moved to the Junk folder
  6. Then click the last option that will enable adaptive Junk filter logging
  7. Click OK to save and close the window

Now, you need to also setup the Junk filtering on the account level. Here are the steps:

1. Right click on your sbcglobal email address located in the left panel
  2. Click Settings
  3. Then click on Junk Settings below the listed email address
  4. Then click to check the option "Trust junk mail headers set by" then select SpamAssassin since this is the mostly used filter of sbcxloabal and Yahoo.
  5. Click OK to close and save the changes

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess