Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

On Monday I was working with an Apple Store trainer to try…

Customer Question
On Monday I was...

On Monday I was working with an Apple Store trainer to try to organise my email. When I opened my email that evening all my prior email messages since that Monday session were gone. There are messages which I would like to access. They are not in the trash. The Genius Bar tried to help, but decided best to contact Google

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your email account on any other devices?

No

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

While we were working on the problem, I had to change my email to a new email.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I hope the email expert can determine what happened to the prior emails.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Email
11/29/2017
Email technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 9 months ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

I look forward to helping you today.

I must ask a question or two before we begin. Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer.

Which program do you use to access your email (Outlook, Mac Mail, Entourage, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc)?

Thank you,
Jason

P.S. If you do not know the answers to any of my questions or are confused about something, please let me know by replying on this page.

Not sure. Google?

Thank you for the update. May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

No

Okay, thank you. Which program do you use to access your email? Your answer was "Google". "Google" is not an application. Are you referring to "Google Chrome"?

No. My server is FIOS. Is that what you mean?

No, FIOS is your Internet system.

"Which" program do you open when you access your email?

Mail.app?

May I ask what that means? Which icon do you click to open your email window?

Mail
I use the icon Mail

You do not want me to remotely connect. How do you wish for me to recover your emails?

What did the 'Apple Store Trainer' do to your system?

I'm not prepared to pay $39 for the remote connection now. We don't know what happened to my emails. It happened only in my gmail account. Other accounts are okay. The emails prior to Monday afternoon are gone. They are not in the trash.

Can you ask the 'trainer' what they did?

The trainer did not do anything. I was working in a group and I don't know what I did.

What does it mean when you say that you were working a group?

There were three clients and we were learning more about how to use our email.

Is your Gmail account setup to use the IMAP or POP3 protocol?

IMAP protocol

Click the All Mail folder. Are you emails visible in that folder?

but not the emails prior to Monday, November 27th

That is not good news. Do you have any idea what you may have done? Did you remove the account, add the account, etc, etc?

If you log into your account on the following page and click the All Mail link, do you see the missing emails?

Log in: http://www.gmail.com

No, they do not appear.

I am sorry to hear that. Without remotely connecting, there is not much else that I can do, safely. I will opt out and allow another to help you.

That's okay. I am working on a new computer. My external hard drive would not give us access on this new computer. Very complicated. The old computer is still working and may have what I am looking for. I do not have it with me, but will check when I move the where it is located. Thanks for your help. I don't know what I did, but it is not a tragedy.
Give me time to check the other computer and I will get back to you if need be.
Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 9 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Do you still need help with this problem?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess