Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

My wife is receiving emails from people on her contact list…

Customer Question
My wife is receiving...

My wife is receiving emails from people on her contact list stating that she is sending out some form of crap out to them. She isn't even home to be able to do that. I suspect that her Outlook account has been hacked on her Mac. What can we do to stop this stuff?

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Outlook? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Her tablet or her Mac at home.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I can't even get into her machine yet - she is out of town but is due back tonight.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I'm aware of.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Email
11/29/2017
Email technician: Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Before we begin, I would like to explain how the site works if this is your first visit here. The page you are viewing offers ads for things like secure desktop connection and a phone call. These are not asked by me and I will explain in our conversation if doing one of those things would help make troubleshooting easier. If you request to do either one, I would be happy to do it with you regardless.

If you are prompted during our conversation to rate me, it is as simple as choosing between 5 stars at the top right corner about my service today. Hopefully, I will earn 5 stars today. It is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

Some things we work on may not easily be resolved with the given resources (such as needing additional media or hardware issues that require replacement). Please understand I will try my hardest to resolve the issue or answer any questions but some things are out of my control.

Finally, make sure to bookmark this page so you can easily come back to this page. If we are working on this issue and you need to step away, you can always leave me a message on this question. I will respond as soon as I can if I am not online. I check periodically throughout the day if not during my normal business hours.

I've read through the notes. This is going to take a bit of time to troubleshoot together. Let me explain what we are going to need to do. Although it doesn't show I am typing, I am still typing, just FYI.

Ready whenever you are.
As an FYI - I am not on the MAC that has a possible issue - I am on my own Window laptop talking to you.
I can certainly switch over to it if needed.

We are going to need one of those emails FORWARDED to an email address. I can give you my email address to have it sent to. The reason is I need to dig into the hidden email information that is on that email sent to her contacts. I would then have you forward me an email from her email to me as well so I can compare.

Per your notes above, you've mentioned you aren't able to get into her computer yet. So ideally, we would need access to that computer but we can ask your contact to forward that message to me in the meantime. Because of the extra work involved, there is an additional fee to troubleshoot this at the level I will need to.

The other option if we didn't do that would be to provide you steps on here to run some malware software to determine if you have some kind of bug in the system. I can provide easy steps like that but if you opt for the first option, I have a secure place to key in my email for you to communicate with me directly. If needed in the future, we can call.

Sorry that took a while to respond.

I've submitted the offer since it shows you may have went away from the computer. You don't need to accept and we have options to try with you online. The offer is the quickest usually because I know what I am looking for to determine who and what is the cause of the spam.

I'm thinking that I want to initially try to do this with any steps and advise that you can provide.

Okay, no problem. Do you have access to her computer now?

I'm getting there standby
Sorry - I'm working from home on another computer system - plus doing this here and will need time to get over to the MAC behind me - one armed paper hanger here!!

No problem! What we're going to need to do is have that email from another user that received the SPAM FORWARD that message to you. We're going to need to look at the headers.

Just wanted to follow up with you to see if you still wanted to work on this. Thank you!