Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Cannot log in tried all addresses and passwords cant log in.

Customer Question
Cannot log in tried...

Cannot log in tried all addresses and passwords cant log in

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your email account on any other devices?

No

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

I put that in and told it was not on file

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Email
11/28/2017
Email technician: Jeremy K, Sysadmin and Network protocol engineer replied 7 months ago
Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Sysadmin and Network protocol engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Ok, I just have a few quick questions and then we'll see about getting your sorted. Can you tell me who your email host is (gmail, hotmail, apple etc.)? And what software / device are you using to access your email?

Aol mail don't know software
No extra money

yeah sorry - you can just ignore that support request. It's an automatic thing.

When you access your AOL mail are you using a web browser usually?

What the heck is a web brouser

Web browser = computer software you can use to browse the internet, i.e. web pages. Standard options usually include internet explorer, safari, firefox, or chrome.

I'm about 99% sure that when you are trying to log into your email it's probably via a web browser. The alternative would be to use a special piece of email software like "thunderbird" or "outlook express". It's ok if these names don't mean anything to you.

How long have you been trying to access this AOL mail account? Is it new or old?

I think we use something 8
We use google
Internet explorer ?

Great - that's just what I was looking to know. Has this problem logging in just started to occur recently? Maybe you've been using this account for a while without experiencing issues, or is it a new account that hasn't ever been working?

Had this 20 yrs with no problems just started last week just got new Verizon phones could that be the problem

Yes, quite possibly - thanks for that extra info. Are you able to send/receive emails on that account with those new phones?

That leaves me wondering if perhaps the passwords for the email accounts were changed in order to set them up on the phones? We can reset the password ***** if you'd like, but we'll then need to change it on the phones as well to make sure you can access it everywhere.

I just need to reset the phones or the aol
Do I need to get with verizon

Exactly - the passwords have (most likely, from what I can tell) been changed to access on the phones; so if you can guess what they were changed to, you should be able to use that new password ***** your computer when you use the AOL website to access your email. If you can't remember them, then your best option is probably to reset the password ***** with AOL and then change to the newly reset password ***** your phone as well.

Even though they look different, computer / phone should basically be like a mirror of one another for accessing that email account.

Great I will call Verizon now

And no, I wouldn't bother with Verizon, unless they're also providing you with email hosting that you use? Usually they just provide the internet connection, but not any of the services that you access over it. But do set me straight if you are also using Verizon email (this would show on your email address, something like***@******.***).

Nope

I can walk you through those steps to get your email accounts reset properly if you'd like.

That would be great

Ok to get started - can you give me the email address that you're working with?

Now, go to the following address: https://i.aol.com/account/password/start?sitedomain=account-management. It should say something like "Let's reset your password" at the top. Paste that email account into the box provided and click "Next"

Once you've taken that step, let me know what comes next.

Ok

it should take you to a "verification" process, and once you're past that you can choose a new password. You can see the AOL documentation on this process if you're feeling curious here: https://help.aol.com/articles/account-management-managing-your-aol-password

Ok there have a lot of choices
One says email and password *****

Yep - they're very "generous" with the choices on this. You'll want to choose the option that is most likely to succeed. You can go with "email" and then follow the link using your phone if you like. That might be easiest.

I am not getting anywhere might have to start drinking

Heh, I do also think occasionally about just ditching email completely.

So what's going on with the aol reset?

I'm here and ready to help - just drop me an note here when you're ready and we can get this connection sorted for you.