Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

My email service stopped letting me send messages, error…

Customer Question
My email service stopped...

My email service stopped letting me send messages, error message of " smtp.mail.wowway.com failed" additional outgoing mail servers can be configured in Settings.

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

Wowway

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access your email? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

I have an iPad, not sure of path

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Rebooting wifi, changed settings,

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

It was working fine for last four years

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Email
11/28/2017
Email technician: Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Before we begin, I would like to explain how the site works if this is your first visit here. The page you are viewing offers ads for things like secure desktop connection and a phone call. These are not asked by me and I will explain in our conversation if doing one of those things would help make troubleshooting easier. If you request to do either one, I would be happy to do it with you regardless.

If you are prompted during our conversation to rate me, it is as simple as choosing between 5 stars at the top right corner about my service today. Hopefully, I will earn 5 stars today. It is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

Some things we work on may not easily be resolved with the given resources (such as needing additional media or hardware issues that require replacement). Please understand I will try my hardest to resolve the issue or answer any questions but some things are out of my control.

Finally, make sure to bookmark this page so you can easily come back to this page. If we are working on this issue and you need to step away, you can always leave me a message on this question. I will respond as soon as I can if I am not online. I check periodically throughout the day if not during my normal business hours.

I'm sorry it took so long for someone to follow up with you. I was asked to reach out to you since you had been waiting for so long. I want to help you with your email issue today if you have a chance.

You've mentioned you are on an IPAD. When this happened, were you on someone's wifi such as a friend's or a business like Starbucks?

This is what I am going to do for you. I would like to give you a resolution. If you can keep me assigned to your case by rating me in the top right (hopefully 5 stars!) I can keep working you directly on this issue. In my history of troubleshooting email, generally there are a few reasons to get this error if nothing has changed.

1. You don't have internet service. If this is not the case, continue on.
  2. You messed with your email settings and added a period or something by accident. If not, continue on.
  3. You're on a different internet connection. If you connect to another internet, usually they do not allow another SMTP server to be configured and reject for such. They block it and require that you use theirs. If you were on a cell phone internet, I can tell you what the server should be. For example, ATT has another one to try when all else fails.
  4. Rarely, the server could be down. I looked into it and don't see this being the case.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to help provide any clarification or further details you may need. If you do not need any further help, just as a reminder before you go, please give me a quick rating at the top right. Hopefully I have earned 5 stars today! This helps me receive credit for helping you today. Have a great rest of your day!

I have internet service, 4 years
Didn't mess with settings
On same server, no changes

Thank you for that information. Let me check to verify if there's be any update on the email servers. I might have you verify the settings for me in just a second.

It looks like their server has changed. Can I have you change the SMTP server to mail.wowway.com only?

mail.wowway.com

If you need help getting into the settings, let me know.

Settings will not accept mail.wowway.com

Strange, I don't know why the server settings are showing mail.wowway.com but it won't connect for you. On the outgoing server settings in the Port, what do you have listed in there? It should be 587.

It is 587

And you are on the Wow wifi correct? You're not on 3G/4G of some carrier?

I'm on Wow wifi

Sorry, it took so long to respond. I had to reboot my computer. Do you have another computer this is setup on?

No, I just have an iPad, do you contact Wowway to see if it's an internal glitch, or am I suppose to?

I can! No problem!

I'm reaching out to tech's right now.

I just reached out to them. Are you still online?

After speaking with them, we figured out the issue you are experiencing is a certificate issue on the Ipad. So knowing what that means, you'll need to contact Apple for them to update the certificate in your Ipad. I provided the phone number and the site where I found that contact number.

1-***-***-****

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

That would explain why we were having an issue. If this was setup on another PC, you would be able to send without an issue right now. It's only because it is an Apple product and there is a known issue with it.

--------------

All set now, apple had me talk to Wowway and they resolved the issue.Thanks for the help

No problem!

Cabletech
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist