Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I'd like to know how I can archive folders from my Gmail and…

Customer Question
Hi, I'd like to...

Hi, I'd like to know how I can archive folders from my Gmail and remove tem from my every day view... can you help please?

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Gmail? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Web browser on my pc

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I havent tried troubleshooting, just different methods, onedrive and drop box i dont want to sync them tho, just want them off my gmail and accessed only when needed

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Email
11/28/2017
Email technician: UranMail, Network Administrator replied 4 months ago
UranMail
UranMail, Network Administrator

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.com my name is ***** ***** I will try my best to assist you.

Have you tried archiving in Gmail? When you archive a message, it takes it out of your view, and you can only see it when clicking on All Mail icon. more info on archiving is HERE

Also, if you are thinking of moving email offline - you may have later issues with retrieving it. Archiving keeps your email out of view , but always accessible online

Hi, can you archive emails that are in folders? I have heaps of folders and when accessing gmail from my iphone, I have to scroll through them all in order to find my most recent one
When I archive the folders, i want the emails to stay in those specific folders in case i need to access them

Yes, you can do it from any folder. Those emails will be hidden from view unless you go to All Mail, and only then you can see them there.

they'll stay in the folder?

Yes, hidden in same folder

I just tried selecting all emails in a particular folder and i couldnt select archive?

What you are trying to do is a bit different. You can archive from folders, but labels actually show messages, even archived ones. One is a location and another one is action.

But, you can go to Settings - Labels and then hide labels you do not want to see anymore

how can I do what Im trying to do ?

You can hide labels

go to Setting->Labels and try hiding any you don't need to see anymore.

Just before I do that, so I understand, once the labels are removed, I can then archive the whole folder and keep it IN the folder, it just wont be in my view any more ?

Once labels are hidden (not removed) you just wont see those labels in your view.

Emails are still going to be in the inbox unless you archive them.

It seems like you are using free gmail for business purposes. I would suggest either upgrading to paid G Suite version or migrate to Exchange online (Microsoft), they are much better at handling what you need. Free email has limitations.... just my two cents..

I did as you advised, settings/labels, and selected hide on folders I dont want to see anymore, but I can still see them in the side view?

can you please send screenshot of the labels settings?

ok, just let me know which ones you have hidden and they still show up... otherwise I won't know what to look for..

you can see on the attachment, they showing up with hide highlighted

I see 3, correct?

Correct
theres more, but you can see it in the screen shot

It seems like while you have messages under labels that you cannot hide label itself.

It would defeat the whole purpose of the labeling..

ok...
Whats an alternative?

Alternative is Office 365 . it allows you archive "on the fly" and allows you to create folders and sub-folders, plus you can tag (label)messages as well. Outlook was always better for business use because of sorting emails capabilities.

You can read comparison here for Google's and Microsoft offerings: https://www.stylefactoryproductions.com/blog/office-365-vs-google-apps

In addition, Office 365 plays pretty well with all know Office suite

How would it work to transfer everything over to Outlook?

You can export every email from Gmail using this tool: https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout

and there is also an article from Microsoft : https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Import-Gmail-to-Outlook-20fdb8f2-fed8-4b14-baf0-bf04b9c44bf7

Keep in mind, that you will either need to forward email from old address or use new email address. I would recommend using your own domain name altogether, its more professional than @gmail.com or outlook.com.

I use an outlook app on my phone, can you use a office 365 app on an iphone?
also, will these answers be available if i log in again?

Yes, you can use Outlook on iphone too.

Yes, these answers will be here

I mean that Outlook integrates with Office 365 100%, so you will be able to use every available feature on it.

your sure that one i move everything over, then archive, I can do it the way ive been describing above?

I am in a meeting with another customer now, please allow me some time to reply to you inquiry if that ok

sure

thank you, ***** ***** reply and give you some sources for reference as soon as I can

Yes, the link I gave you before (HERE) gives you step-by-step instructions on how to export from Gmail and import into Office 365. As well as contacts and calendars (at the bottom of the page). In addition, when you sign up for Business plan - you will have direct support from Microsoft in case if you have any issues.

As I mentioned before, make sure you forward emails or buy own domain.

Hi, thanks for thatIs there any way I can trial it? What to see if I like the format etc...

yes, you can get trial of Office 365 for 1 month, here is the link: https://products.office.com/en-au/try

UranMail
UranMail
UranMail, Network Administrator