Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I opened an attachment to an email, edited it and saved

Customer Question
I opened an attachment...

I opened an attachment to an email, edited it and saved without changing the location. It is in my Outlook Temps folder. How do I retrieve it?

Technician's Assistant: Is your Outlook file saved to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

I can actually see it "greyed out" in the Outlook Temps folder.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Email
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Email technician: Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you have Windows xp, vista, or 7, 8, 10, or Mac computer?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

MacBook Pro

Thank you. Let me open this issue to the appropriate experts. Please do not wait; you will get an email when there is a response from another expert. Thank you.

Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. What is the file type of the attachment? Is it a Word document?
  2. What problem are you facing now? Did you lose the file?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

It is a Word document. I know it saved to my Outlook Temp folder but I do not know how to go to that folder and get it.

Thank you for writing back with that information.

Please try these steps:

1. Open your MS Word program
  2. In the list of "Recent Documents" locate the file you mentioned that you edited and saved.
  3. When you found it in the list, click on it to open it.
  4. See if your changes were saved there

Please let me know your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

It does not show up in the “recents”.

Are you sure that you opened the attached document using your MS Word program? All documents that you opened will show in the Recent documents list unless you clear the entire list.

I double clicked on the document attached to the email.

Then it opened in MS Word and you edited and saved it?

Please try to open the SAME attachment, then close it. Then open MS Word again, see if it is still NOT shown in the Recent Documents list.

I am not able to find the document to open it! It was Read-Only, I made a copy and save it. I know it is in the Outlook Temp folder, but I do not know how to go to that folder so that I can open it.

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the issues while you watch on your screen?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess