Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I Ned to unlock my aunts Toshiba laptop. She has forgotten…

Customer Question
I Ned to unlock...

I Ned to unlock my aunts Toshiba laptop. She has forgotten her password. Can u help?

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your email account on any other devices?

Yes, my own iPad

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

It’s not an email question but rather a hardware question as to how to reset a password ***** a Toshiba laptop

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Email
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/25/2017
Email technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 7 months ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Can you tell me what version of Windows is on the laptop. (7, 8 or 10) ?

7 home premium
Email technician: AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist

Hi! I'm Eric and I will be the expert assisting you today. I'll do all I can to provide you with excellent, 5-Star service. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• Offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept your request for one, but you don't have to.
  • Please keep this browser open. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will keep helping you until you're satisfied, please ask as many follow up questions as you need by replying below
Ok thanks

Good morning,

Sorry to hear about her forgetting her Windows password, but these things happen. Yes, you can remove the password ***** get back on to the computer, and I can provide you with the exact/specific directions, but you will need access to a second PC so you can download a file and put it onto a USB drive, do you have a computer you can use for that?

I have a MacBook which will take me a few minutes to get ready with a usb drive
Be right back

Ok, you will need to open this question on your Mac, so you can click the link I give you to download the file. You should have received emails saying I replied to you and they will have a link to get to this question.

Ok I’m ready

Alright, I am almost ready putting all the steps together for you.

My goal today is to provide you with the best service possible! I sincerely ***** ***** have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

1. Download Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
    - For use with a bootable CD
    - For use with a bootable USB drive (This is recommended!!)
  2. After burning the files to your CD or USB drive, insert the media and reboot your PC, telling it to boot to the CD or USB and not the hard drive. (If you need help here, let me know)
  3. Once the program starts you should see this. Press Enter to continue.
  4. It will list all the Windows partitions on the drive with numbers next to them. 99.9% of the time there is only one and you would know if there was more, just type the number 1 and press Enter.
  5. Now it will ask to select the part of registry to be loaded for editing. Since you want to reset Windows user password ***** in the SAM registry file, we have to type 1 and press Enter.
  6. You will now be presented with the chntpw Main Interactive Menu. Type 1 and press Enter.
  7. It will now list all the user accounts found in the SAM database and prompt you to select the user.
  8. After you select the user, you will be prompted to select an action from options to clear password, unlock and enable user account, or promote user to administrator. To reset the password, simply type 1 and press Enter.
  9. Once the password ***** ***** you can proceed to quit by typing q.
  10. Type q to exit the chntpw program.
  11. Type y and press Enter to write the changes.
  12. Remove the USB or CD and reboot your PC. You can now log in without a password!
Sorry I’m trying to open this session on my mac

No problem, I just posted the instructions above.

Got it attempting dl

Ok great.

Is the dL a file labeled usb140201?

It is a zip file, yes. You need to burn them to the USB drive to make a bootable USB drive. I only have software for Windows to do that though.

how do i boot from the usb ?

This video, will show you how to do it on a Mac. You need to use the files from the zip file you just downloaded, and follow this video to create a bootable USB for Windows.

I can not use any of the methods you describe. Ill try another way. Please end this session and refund the initial fee. Thank you.

Why are you not able to?