Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Is there a way to find an email that I received long ago…

Customer Question
Is there a way...

Is there a way to find an email that I received long ago (~18 months ago)?

Technician's Assistant: Have you checked for the lost email in your Trash and Spam folders?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: What email provider are you using (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, etc.)?

Gmail

Technician's Assistant: Have you checked for your email under the All Mail tab?

My All Mail tab only displays back to November 23 of this year

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I thought I had saved this particular email in a folder when I initially received it, but it is not there after all (I'm sure it's user error as I have never mastered the ins and outs of gmail.)

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Email
11/24/2017
Email technician: Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Before we begin, I would like to explain how the site works if this is your first visit here. The page you are viewing offers ads for things like secure desktop connection and a phone call. These are not asked by me and I will explain in our conversation if doing one of those things would help make troubleshooting easier. If you request to do either one, I would be happy to do it with you regardless.

If you are prompted during our conversation to rate me, it is as simple as choosing between 5 stars at the top right corner about my service today. Hopefully, I will earn 5 stars today. It is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

Some things we work on may not easily be resolved with the given resources (such as needing additional media or hardware issues that require replacement). Please understand I will try my hardest to resolve the issue or answer any questions but some things are out of my control.

Finally, make sure to bookmark this page so you can easily come back to this page. If we are working on this issue and you need to step away, you can always leave me a message on this question. I will respond as soon as I can if I am not online. I check periodically throughout the day if not during my normal business hours.

I understand you're looking to recover a specific email. There a few simple things we can do and if we cannot resolve it, I know the final route to try in case we cannot recover it ourselves.

Have you had this email setup on a computer through Outlook, Windows Mail, or some other email client?

No

Do you know of any key words on the email and have tried to search for it within gmail?

I would rather not give you access to my device at this time.

The site asks that question. That's not me.

I don't know how to search for it within gmail.

I try to let everyone know in my first message to you that the site will ask you that. I'm sorry it does that.

Okay, this is where it would be easier to share your screen. But I can work around those limitations. I don't mind. It's just a little extra typing on my end.

Give me a few moments because I have to type up the response for you. Please don't go anywhere.

Could I change my mind and say yes to sharing the screen with you?

You sure can.

Is there still an offer that was provided to you on the website that you can accept?

In order for us to share screens, you just need to do 2 things:

1. Download this file: http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=5e3d3fa6-6abb-4765-9ed9-4bfeeac26a44

2. Click I ACCEPT

3. Then click Run or Open once you download the file.

Then we'll be able to share screens

Do you have a windows or an Apple?

I am so sorry to have wasted your time (and mine). I simply cannot follow the convoluted instructions to get your assistance at this time.I am signing off now and will have to find another way to solve my problem.

It's no problem. I can still provide you written instructions. You are perfectly okay with me.

Okay, I will try for a while longer. It's just been one of those days.

I understand! I just got away from the in-laws yesterday. :)

I hear you. Holidays are great and all but also the most stressful time of the year.

Here is the instructions to search for a message in Gmail.

1. Sign into Gmail

2. Once signed in, on the top left hand corner you'll see a colorful Google

3. In the top middle of your screen, you'll have a white search bar.

4. Fun tip. You can search for ANYTHING within ANY message. You can search for a name, email address, a specific line or word from an email you think it might say. This is where I want you to try and search for that email. If you know of anything it might have that could help you find it like if it said "Stock quote" or "funny story"

If you search for that email, let me know if it finds it.

Thank you for your patience.

No problem!

Looks like you may have gone offline. I will be intermittently online through this weekend. If you leave me a message, I'll respond when I check for any pending messages this weekend. If you're not able to find the message, we might be able to ask Google to try to retrieve it. But it might be a long shot.

Have a great rest of your day!