Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I forgot my my yahoo password AND I changed my phone number.

I forgot my my...

I forgot my my yahoo password ***** I changed my phone number. Is it really true that there is NO way to get back in?

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your Yahoo account on any other devices?

No

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

Nothing. Lost it all

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?
  2. Did you use an email program like MS Outlook 2016 or earlier to access your Yahoo email? Or did you use a web browser like Internet Explorer where no emails were actually downloaded and saved to your computer?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

I'm using a Mac and I'm using a web browser
My recovery phone number was an old phone I no longer have.

Have you checked your Mac Mail program to see if your Yahoo email was added there before?

I'm visiting from out of town. But either way, I never use Mac Mail. I always check on the web
I'm on my daughter's computer. I need email while I'm on vacation. That's why it's so urgent. But, as I said, I forgot the password, and my mobile phone is not the one originally registered to the account

Thank you for writing back with that confirmation. So are you saying that back on your OWN computer, you could still access it because your password ***** have been saved or remembered by your browser there?

That's correct.
I haven't had to login in a long time back at home because it automatically takes me to my account.
By the way, I'm 76 years old, so please help an old person :-)
Hi Jess. Are you still there?

I am still here. Please give me a moment to type my answer and procedures for you.

No problem.

Thank you for that confirmation.

Unfortunately, if you forgot your password ***** your web browser has always remembered it for you, and all your recovery information (recovery email, mobile phone on record, security questions) are not up-to-date, there is really NO WAY to regain access to that account.

This is because Yahoo Mail provides a layer of security on your account to ensure that only YOU has access to it and hackers cannot easily break in.

In this case, I do not suggest that you try to force to reset the account using your daughter's computer. This can harm your account since Yahoo could lock the account for goor so that you can verify your ownership properly.

I suggest that you use your OWN computer when you get the time, and then when you are able to access your account, that is the time that you REVEAL the password ***** by your browser. And when you see the actual password, use it to UPDATE your recovery information like your mobile phone number and add another email account if you have one as a recovery email.

If you are using Safari on your Mac (your OWN Mac, not your daughter's), here is the link on how you can access or see the remembered passwords:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3911948?tstart=0

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Thank you very much. My daughter told me that you might write this. One last question. It appears that yahoo has gotten rid of security questions. Do you know anything to the contrary? THAT would work for me, but I'm not prompted for them.

If you added a mobile phone and verified it before, that mobile phone will be receiving a so-called KEY CODE. That is now the primary verification protocol that Yahoo will be using on your account because that is most secured compared to the Security Questions method. A lot of people are having huge trouble with Security Questions because even though they are NOT case sensitive, people can easily mess up their answers especially if the security questions were added several years ago. For instance, if the answer is composed of 2 or more words, then only very few people can recall what exactly they put as answer.

I suggest that if you have a smartphone, please install the Yahoo Mail app so that you can access your email on the go without verification.