Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I can't change my Microsoft login password. I've been trying…

Customer Question
I can't change my...

I can't change my Microsoft login password.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?

No, I've been trying the online directions.

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

Yaho

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your email account? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It started a couple of hours ago and I've been following Microsoft's instructions for resetting

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I'm aware of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Email
11/21/2017
Email technician: Karthik Nagarajan, Computer Engineer replied 8 months ago
Karthik Nagarajan
Karthik Nagarajan, Computer Engineer

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

No thanks. just refund my payment.

I am really sorry for delayed response, I was trying to give you a detail answer but unfortunately I lost the permission to send a message, that's why I couldn't reply you.

1. Open the Microsoft Account Password ***** page from any browser on any computer or device, even your smartphone.

2. Choose I forgot my password from the short list of options and then tap or click Next.

3. In the first field, with the *****@******.*** example, enter the email address you use as your Microsoft account.
4. If you know a phone number that might be associated with your Microsoft account, you can tap or click on the Or use a phone number link and enter that instead of an email address.

5. In the other field, for security purposes, enter the text you see and then click or tap the Next button.

• Tip: You can touch or click New if you'd like to try another string of characters, or Audio to have several words read to you that you can type in instead. You've probably seen this process on other websites before - it works the same here.

6. On the next screen, choose one of the email options (continue with Step 8), one of the text options (continue with Step 11), or Use an app (continue with Step 14), whichever you prefer.
7. If none of the email or phone number options are valid anymore, and you don't already have an authentication app configured for your Microsoft account, choose the I don't have any of these option (Continue with Step 16).

• Note: The email address(es) and phone number(s) listed here are ones you've previously associated with your Microsoft account. You won't be able to add any more contact methods at this time.
  • Tip: If you've enabled two-step verification for your Microsoft account, you may eventually have to choose the second method to verify your identity but you'll be clearly told this when and if it applies to your particular account.

8. If you choose one of the email options, you'll be asked to enter the full email address for verification.
9. Click or touch Send code and then check your email account and look for a message from Microsoft account team.

10. Enter the code in that email in the Code text box, then tap or click Next. Continue with Step 19.

11. If you choose one of the text options, you'll be asked to enter the last 4 digits of the phone number for verification.
12. Tap or click Send code and then wait for the text to arrive on your phone.
13. Enter the code from that text in the Code text box and then press or click the Next button. Continue with Step 19.

14. If you choose the Use an app option, tap or click Next to bring up the Enter your security code screen.
15. Open the authentication app that you've configured to work with your Microsoft account and enter the code displayed in the Code text box, then tap or click Next. Continue with Step 19.

• Important: If you don't already use an authentication app with your Microsoft account, it's too late to set it up now. I do recommend using two-factor authentication going forward after you've reset your Microsoft account using some other method here.

16. If you choose I don't have any of these, tap or click Next to bring up the Do you have an account recovery code? screen.
17. If you've been working with a Microsoft representative to reset your Microsoft account, here's where you enter that 25-character code they gave you, followed by Use recovery code (continue with Step 19).
18. If you haven't yet been working with Microsoft to reset your password, tap or click the No button to continue.

• On the Recover your Microsoft account page, enter your Microsoft account email address if it's not already there, as well as a working Contact email address that Microsoft can communicate with you from, followed by Next.
  • On the next screen, enter everything you can about yourself and your account that might help Microsoft identify you. Some things include name, birth date, previous passwords you do remember, email information, billing data, etc. Then touch or click Submit.
  • Depending on the information provided, you might be contacted by Microsoft immediately via email or up to 24 hours later if someone has to manually look at your provided information. Once you do get an email from Microsoft account team, follow whatever steps they provide, then continue with Step 19.

19. In the New Password field, and again in the Reenter password field, enter the new password *****'d like to use for your Microsoft account.

• Note: Your new password ***** case-sensitive and must be at least 8 characters in length. You also won't be able to reset your password ***** one you've already used before.

20. Click or touch Next. Assuming all was successful, you should see the Your account has been recovered screen.

• Tip: Assuming you have email addresses associated with your Microsoft account, you'll be emailed, again by Microsoft account team, that your password ***** been changed. You can safely delete these emails.

21. Tap or click Next again to exit.

22. Sign in on the next page with your newly reset password!

If you do not have access to either a secondary email address or phone number. Please let me know, So that we can try some other alternate solution. Thank you