Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Some techie working for me says that using a service like…

Customer Question
Some techie working for...

Some techie working for me says that using a service like Amazon SES og Google SMTP for sending mail from our apps does not affect our need to authenticate our mail with dkim,spf ptr record and ssl certificates. Is that true?

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

We run our own smtp server and send from our server directly to mail recipitents

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your email account? What troubleshooting have you tried?

6 years

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I just want to clarify my question. Is it true what that tech guy says (laid out in my first post). Are you going to charge me for this answer?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Email
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Email technician: Kris Rodgers, IT Manager replied 9 months ago
Kris Rodgers
Kris Rodgers, IT Manager

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Are you kidding me?

Yes that's true. It aiuthenticates with the STMP receiver and all the protocals and rules are done from the mail server.

It's exactly like sending an email from the originating server.

That response is not relevant to my question. I am not asking for assistance to fix or change anything. I am asking whether it is true that the authentication requirements for sending mail are unaffected by using an outside service to relay mail, vs. just sending mail directly to recipients. The guy working for me says the dkim,spf, ptr, and ssl requirements are the same for authenticating email regardless of whether we use an outside smtp relay service.
OK, I see you answered my question whlle I was typing, thank you. Why did you ask me how long it has been happening?

It's auto answer - that was all sorry about that.

Anything I can asnwer for you.

Well I like the way you were so certain of your answer, can you possibly explain a little bit about how you are so sure?

Yes of course.

As long as your are using a SSL SMTP connection, the rest is happening at (in this case) Googles end.

If you were using your own server it would need the required protocols you have mentioned, but SMTP is a tunneling service so for all intents and purposes it thinks your sending the email from Google.

Note: Can you please rate me at the top so I am credited with my time, 5/5 gives me most credit and would be much appreciated. Thanks.