Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

I had to change my email password with my provider. I tried

I had to change my...
I had to change my email password ***** my provider. I tried to add the new password ***** Thunderbird but ended up simply deleting the old one. Now I can't find a place to put the new password!
JA: When did you last reset your username and password?
Customer: I've never done that since I first got Thunderbird. This is the first time I tried to change it.
JA: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer: Comcast
JA: How long has this been going on with your email account? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I got the new password ***** two days ago and have been using Comcast's webmail since then. Today I tried to hook up with my Thunderbird.
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it.
11/20/2017
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

When you changed your password ***** the Comcast site and then opened Thunderbird,

Thunderbird should have opened a pop up allowing you to enter a new password.

What happens when you open Thunderbird now?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It still goes to Comcast for the password ***** and then just says 'connected to mail.comcast.net It just stays like that.

In Thunderbird, go to Tools>>Account Settings

On the bottom left click Account Actions>>Add Mail Account

and add it again.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It won't accept it - it says 'configuration could not be verified - is the username or password *****?'

It shouldn't be. You said that you can sign in on the Comcast site.

Are you manually entering the server names, port numbers and security type?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No, I don't know how to do that.

When you select Add Mail Account and then enter your name, address and password ***** click Continue,

on the next page select Manual Config and use the settings for IMAP here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I did exactly that and then clicked re-test. It says that 'Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your e-mail account.'

Please give me a few minutes. I'm adding my comcast account into thunderbird

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It seems to me that I need to add this new password ***** the Password ***** But as far as I can tell there is no way to do that. The PM allowed me to delete the old password, but there's no way to type or paste in the new one. This is why Thunderbird can't find my password ***** it isn't there!

Go to Tool>>Options>>Passwords. What shows there?

in Saved Passwords

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
There are none there. I stupidly deleted them!

When you look at your Comcast account on the web and in Thunderbird, do you see the exact same email folders in both places?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No.

If you sign out of the Comcast website, are you able to log back in with your new password?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I just double-checked and some are the same, but I have an 'outbox' in Thunderbird that isn't in Comcast.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I've done it dozens of times.

OK. I suggest you remove the account from Thunderbird and add it back. I just don't want you to lose anything important.

Do you see everything you need on the Comcast site?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Well, I have many personal folders on Thunderbird, where I keep my business and personal emails that I save. Would that be affected?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Also, how do I remove the account from Thunderbird?

Yes. Can I connect to your computer and take a look?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I wish you could but I just can't afford the extra $39.

I can help with that.

Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
How?

Thank you

From your windows computer, Click this link

download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.exe

Run/Open the program and please send me the numbers

for YOUR ID and Password.

Please do not close Teamviewer else I will not

be able to connect.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
OK: ID - 309 735 191
Password ***** 7278
Byron
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech