Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

My phone was stolen on a trip to ecuador and the passwords…

Customer Question
Hi, my phone was...

Hi, my phone was stolen on a trip to ecuador and the passwords were changed to gmail, facebook, and several other accounts. I have recovered the accounts, changed passwords, kicked all devices off, and started 2- bit encryption. BUT on my 'activity' page, I still see activity (in ADS) that is not mine. It is a search for a site that unlocks IMEI numbers for phones. I have denied access to all apps, and there are no forwards to any accounts How is it that I can still see their activity

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had this issue with your Gmail account?

My account was stolen on November 10, I recovered it on November 15

Technician's Assistant: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

I have been using my computer, but it was my phone that was stolen I ran a malware software program to make sure nothing had been installed

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Everything. change password, 2- bit encryption, kicking all devices off, denying access to apps, checked all email forwarding

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

Their activity only shows up in my 'ads activity' there is no record of their activity or IP address

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Email
11/19/2017
Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?
  2. Which ads activity are you referring to? Is it in your Gmail account?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Mac, and the activity is under ‘my activity’ in ‘my account’ in gmail

Thank you for writing back with that information. Are you are seeing the "Ads" activity?

I’m not sure if it is ads specifically, but it is under ‘activity’
If I click on ‘today’, then ‘ads’ it appears in that category

I understand. So you are saying, that when the people who stole your phone uses your phone, their activity is shown under your Gmail account activity?

How could their account still be connected to mine if I have kicked them out, changed passwords, and ran a malware check on my computer
they can no longer use my phone. It is cancelled by the company. They used a computer to sign into my account remotely

Thank you. Please give me a moment to type the answer and procedures for you to try.

Thank you for patiently waiting. Regarding the activities that you are seeing on your Gmail account, under the Ads tab, I doubt that they are of the person who stole your phone especially if you already kicked off all devices connected to your Gmail and you already changed the password.

Google implemented these "Activities" tracking to allow users' better online experience and for security purposes as well. This lists all activities DONE while being signed in to your Google account. That is, NOT just Gmail -- everything Google -- like youtube, Chrome, Google Drive, Google Documents, and many others.

The ADS tab in the activities are list of websites that are categorized as ads that you visited while you are using Chrome and logged in to your Gmail account. Please check and see if indeed you visited those website yourself or if someone else did. These ads sites can be from anywhere on the web, like in Yahoo Mail, or other website served as ads and you clicked on them while you are on Chrome and logged in to your Gmail or Google account.

Now, to make sure that the old phone is no longer linked to your Google account, please DELETE it from your Devices list.

Here are the steps:

Go to your Gmail Account page:

https://myaccount.google.com/

Click on Device activity and security events:

https://myaccount.google.com/security#activity

Under Recently used devices, click on "Review devices"

https://myaccount.google.com/device-activity

All devices where you logged in your Google account will be listed there. Did you see your old phone? If yes, click on it, then click on REMOVE.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

I do not see my old phone, but I do see the computer they used to sign in. There is no ‘remove’ option. I can only see information that they signed on on November 10
It says I cannot remove it because it is a computer
I competed security check, and have already kicked off all devices twice. I am sure that I did not look up a IMEI breaking website 3 times today
It should have signed the computer out when I changed passwords 3 times this week.

Ok. I believe these are already HISTORY of the devices listed. That is, please check the DATE when that computer was used to access your account. It should NOT be a recent date since they should have been kicked off when you changed your password.

That is what makes sense, but it does not explain the ads activity that happened when I was not at my phone or computer to websites used to break stolen phones
The activity is 3 times today, and all of my browser windows were closed at the time of the activity
Is it possible they have software that prevents them from being kicked out of google?

Regarding the activity, you mentioned is it TODAY, when you click ADS, are you sure that the websites listed are still under TODAY with time slots? Time could be different based on your computer time. But for the website, please CHECK all of your web browsers and apps, you could have visited those websites yourself that is why it is listed. And if not, please check if they are listed under TODAY or on the previous date when they were still NOT kicked out from your Google.

No, there is NO WAY that they can still access your account since you changed your password ***** added 2 step verification. These website listing could just be remnants of their activity that is why I am asking you to check the dates.

I’ve checked dates. It is today. It was when All browsers, apps, and windows were closed, and it is a website used to look up stolen phones, so I know that I did not visit it intentionally or accidentally. If there is no hacker software that would allow them to still be signed in, then it must be remnants from their use. This was a very sophisticated robbery, and my account was hacked immediately and effectively, and the info was sent to the u.s within minutes. I am trying to make sure no further damage can be done. If you are confident there is no way the can still have access to my account, then I suppose the is not much else I can do. Do you have any other suggestions?

I am 100% sure that the person who stole your Gmail account can NO LONGER access your Gmail account because you already changed your password ***** you even added a second layer of security which is 2-step verification.

But one more thing to check from your end. If this is the very first time that you enabled 2 step verification, you can ignore this. But if you enabled it already and just refreshed it (disabled then enabled back), please check if you have generated App Tokens App Keys or passwords under 2-step verification. Make sure to delete those old keys so that those people cannot access your account using email apps.

This is HOW app keys work in Gmail:

1. When you enabled 2 step verification, you will then be able to generate an app key to allow email apps to access your emails.
  2. In the email app, the password ***** asked for is NOT the password ***** use to login using a web browser. Instead, it is the app key that you will generate.
  3. That is, if you changed the password, but then you or the hacker generated the app key and used it to access your Gmail, the changes you made in the password ***** ***** honored since the email app is using an app key and NOT a password.

Also, if your account is now hacker-proof due to 2-step verification enabled, they website list could be remnants of Chrome. That is, if the hacker signed in to Chrome using your Gmail account, it can take a while before the changes you made in the password ***** take effect. But when the change is in effect, the hacker will then see a red marks on his Chrome indicating disconnection from Google account that requires to re-login. That is when he is totally disconnected.

That is the first time I enabled 2- step encryption, but I will check for keys just in case. My question has been answered. Thank you for your time!
Darn it- one more quick question. Where would I look to find if I have generated app
Keys? I can’t seem to find it.

Sorry for the late reply. I was away from my computer. Let me enable it from my account first so that I can tell you where the app key is located.

Thank you for patiently waiting. Now I see it since I enabled 2-step verification on my account.

Please go to this link to access Sign In and Security:

https://myaccount.google.com/security

Go the the section called "Password & sign-in method"

There you shall see 2-step verification and below that, App passwords. If you have app passwords there, delete them UNLESS you know that you created them yourself.

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Hi, I just noticed a $48 charge on my account from your company that I DID NOT authorize. I was under the impression that our conversation was only the $5 charge. Who do I talk to to have this removed?

I am very sorry about the confusion. Our service does not cost $5 only. The $5 you mentioned is an initial deposit but the actual posting of the question is more than $5. From my end, at the very start of our chat I saw your question value is $48 but I did not realize that you did not know it.

Please contact our customer service for refunds. Or here is the link about refunding:

ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if I was able to help. The rating system is at the top of our chat page.

Best regards,

Jess