Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

My computer crashed and had to reinstall windows 10 without…

Customer Question
My computer crashed and...

My computer crashed and had to reinstall windows 10 without preserving the user data files .. after the install.. there's a windows.old folder with the original user files .. how do I extract the contacts from my original version of outlook 2007

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue?

A few days

Technician's Assistant: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Microsoft outlook 2007

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Import export *.pst files

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Email
11/14/2017
Email technician: Harold Hanna, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Engineer

Hello how are you today? I can assist you with recovering your lost Outlook files. Can we work on this now?

Hello.. yes please

Alright. Before we get too deep into manually locating files, we can attempt to have the computer search for them. Go to explorer (where you can browse your files), then click into your windows.old folder.

You should have an option at the top right of the box that says "Search for files"

From there, type in

*.pst

And push enter. Let me know if it is searching for the files.

Searching

OK great! We will give it a moment to see if it locates the appropriate files.

I have a list of files with the *.PST extension

Great! Approximately how many are the files, and about what size?

There are about 30 files .. with various email address .. 10 of which are tied to my main email address ranging in size from 200MB to 2-3 GB

The best thing to do would be to make a folder on your C drive called Outlook. Then, copy the files from your windows.old directory to this new Outlook directly. Once you have done this, you can use the following procedures to import the PST file(s) --

• On the opened Microsoft Outlook window, click File menu.
  • From the displayed options, click to select Open category from the left pane.
  • Once selected, from the right pane, click Import.
  • On the opened Import and Export Wizard box, make sure that Import from another program or file option is selected.
  • Click Next to continue.
  • On Import a File box, click to select Outlook Data File (.PST), and click Next.
  • On Import Outlook Data File box, click Browse button.
  • On the displayed Open Outlook Data Files box, browse for and locate the Outlook Data File (.PST) of old outlook version emails. (A removable disk in this demonstration)
  • Once located, click to select the file, and click Open.
  • Back on Import Outlook Data File box, click to select appropriate radio button under Options section.
  • Click Next to continue.
  • On the next page, leave everything as default, and click Finish to import the emails from previous versions of Outlook

If you are unsure how to do this, I would be happy to connect remotely to your machine (you can allow me to do this by clicking the link above). If you do not wish me to remotely connect, let me know any problems you have while attempting to import the files.

I have attempted this .. I have an IMAP account and have all my email messages ... what I dont have are my contacts email addresses .. I did attempt an import from***@******.*** with the most recent access date and was unable to retrieve my contacts email information

Have you imported all of the different PST files? Are you using a newer or different version of outlook now?

i attempted to import the most recent version of***@******.*** using the same version of outlook 2007 as the original

You mentioned you had several PST files, can you attempt importing those as well?

attempting that now

OK great hopefully the contacts were in one of the other PST files.

no luck .. opened all files with***@******.***-*.pst no contacts information was visible

OK give me just a moment, I am looking up the instructions for rebuild the database.

On your machine, attempt typing

scanpst

in the after pushing the windows button. It should search for this file, and then bring up the location. Once it does, click it. You can then use the utility to again insert those PST files, and see if it will correctly pull the contacts out of them.