bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Experience:  CISM / CISSP / MCSD - Azure Solutions Architect / MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure / MS MVP
96068672

I have been travelling and have had a number of documents

Customer Question

I have been travelling and have had a number of documents 'deleted' from Google Drive. In particular I have lost a nearly completed application for an international award for our company with a very urgent deadline. No-one in team can explain what has happened. My mobile is 0417 267235 (+61###-##-#### and email***@******.***
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: Google - G-Suite I think
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Phone or web browser on my laptop
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I am not very expert. I have tried to find deleted documents and a colleague tried to find a historical version without success. The key document had been saved and renamed and filled in in detail.
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a list showing what documents have been deleted
Category: Email
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

Did you check the Trash folder of Google Drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not there. My big issue apart from immediate loss of key document is how this happened and what happened - I regarded Drive as absolutely secure and would never have deliberately deleted this stuff.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's obviously hard to say if should pay more to 'fix it' when don't know at all what the issue might be i.e. a fault with my device; something I did wrong inadvertently; a bug in Drive etc.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.
If you don't remember you deleted the files by a mistake, is it poosble that someone else did it? Especially someone who has the same access to your Google Drive?
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.
I guess you are referring the site's promotion on remote assistance. Just ignore it, it is not from me.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.
You review your Google accc**t's login activities to see if someone else logged in at from unusual location, IP address or time. Check this under Google account profile.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing that happened in the relevant time period that I can think of is that a colleague reallocated folders in Drive - but the collective view at our end was that this should not have deleted anything per se. I don't think it would have been done maliciously by anyone and the files deleted were a quite random mix of things.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will ignore the other message.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.
If so, it does mean someone else has the same privileges of access to the same Google Drive account and folders, and it also does mean the possibility of a misktake, if malicious intention is not considered.Anyway, did you actually review the account activities in term of any unusual access?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No did not ... not sure how to do that
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.
However, if you are sure the files are not longer available on the Google Drive, including the trash folders, unfortunately you are no longer able to get them back. No one can do that. As a last resort, please use search feature to locate the missing files just in case if they are still there under sub-folders.One thing you can do, not at Google Drive side, is to immediate disconnect the computer having Google Drive client installed (to stop sync, just in case some local copies are still available) check if you still these files on the computers.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.
FYI - https://support.google.com/mail/answer/45938?hl=enCheck it from below site.https://myactivity.google.com/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your efforts. Yes, trying the search was first thing I did and tried repeatedly.I am resigning myself to the stuff being gone but no idea how to avoid any repeat.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.
A common practice is not to allow many people to access critical documents at one shared location, as you can't make sure their behaviours are under the same rule or method even you trust them. Be aware that everyone makes mistakes, and no one is the same.
Use layered access to critical information, which means access rights should be well defeined, only a few controlled stuff have full access.
The second practice is not new, always back up, always have backups at different location with different providers.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.
Hello, any other cocerns to be addressed?