Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

I accidently deleted my old email account that contained all…

I accidently deleted my...

I accidently deleted my old email account that contained all my address book. How do I get it back??

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using for this account?

Now, centurylink. Previously dishmail

Technician's Assistant: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

On my computer - outlook

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Trying to find the deleted file

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

All my contacts were listed in the file I accidently deleted, XXXXXXX

my current email is XXXXXXXXX

10/21/2017
sudipto_dutta
sudipto_dutta, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

From where did you deleted the email account?

C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Outlook Files on my computer

Did you check the recycke bin?

Ah, yes, they are there. I restored it. Now how do I get Outlook to open with the proper files?.

Did you close and re open Outlook after restoring the files?

Can you tell me the version of Outlook, you are using?

Outlook 2013

Open the link below and follow the steps to restore the emails from those files and let me know if that halps or not?

https://help.fasthosts.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/2010/~/back-up-and-restore-emails-using-outlook-2013

No. I don't want emails, I need to get the whole file back into Outlook so that I can again have my Contqcts file, too.
Ok. That added the other file back into outlook, but still no Contacts file. Now what???

Ok, so you can see the emails now?

I can see emails - but not the Contacts fle, which is what I need - not emails.

Can you check the folders and make sure the contacts file in it or not?

Don't know how. When I click Address Book, it shows Contacts: XXXXXXXXXX How do I get it to select XXXXXXXXX

Check the link below and let me know if that helps.

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/826

No help. Nothing so far has shown me how to change it so that Contacts: XXXXXXXXdoes not show in the right side (Address Book) where there is no contacts, but to make it show the file in the XXXXXXXXXpst file.

OK, I am out of ideas, I will open the question for other experts.

flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant

What is the extension of the file you deleted?

The part after the period

Or you can right click on it and select properties to get the full name with the extension

pst

Go to file /account settings / account settings

Click data file tab

Click add

Browse to the file and select it

It will show up as a separate set of personal folders

The contact list will be in that set of folders

It should also show up in the drop down box in address book but if not you have to right click on the contact list in the new folders and in the properties there is a check box to use as outlook address book

I can log in remotely to do it all with you if you like. It's a little complicated if you never did it before

Selected file/account settings/account settings; clicked data file tab; clicked add; browsed to the file and selected it.
There is no set of folders shown.???

this is why i like to remote in

It is so much faster than trying to explain

if you added the pst file and there was anything in the pst file it would show up as another set of folders

but the outlook may have them in a tree or there are too many subfolders in the folder you are looking at to find it

the little triangles on the left will collapse the tree so you can see everything

see the screenshot

seriously, if you did what you say you did and deleted the file from the windows folder and then pulled it from the recycle bin, i can get your contacts back. Probably in about 10 minutes to get it just the way you want it

how long have you been messing with it today?

I can do it a little cheaper if it makes a difference. But that way we can both be happy and i can go watch my hockey game afterwards :)

When I extend, I get Inbox, Draft, sent items, deleted items, junk email, outbox, rss feeds, and search folders. No contacts. When I click the Address book, I still get Contacts:***@******.***, which, of course, does not have a Contacts file.
????

no there should be a whole nother set of folders that has its own inbox draft contacts etc

it is on the level ABOVE the one you are looking at

It would really be a lot faster if i can log in. I have done this dozens of times.

But if you prefer to do it this way its ok. But just please can you get me an excellent rating when you get it. thanks

Robert - I have never seen Contacts as a folder in any of my email accounts ever. Where have they kept it hidden????
I just checked - my new email does not show a Contacts folder either - and I just added a contact to make sure.
Folders view?? Bottom of where??????????

Outlook does things differently for different email accounts depending on how the account was set up. IMAP or POP etc.

We can go through this all night. I am putting up an offer for the remote at half price. If you want to take it we can get it solved.

If not i am going to have to opt out.

flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant

give me 1 minute i will put up a link for the remote

this is the link for the remote

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=d2102255-d6b3-4aa8-8cf6-11c51cc75f19

if you go to that page it will let you download AND RUN a program called elsinore screenconnect

once you have done that please call me

my number is ***** the secure section

or if you leave your number i can call you.

can you see my number and link in the secure section ?

flopcat98
flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant