Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I bought a new computer and want to give my old one to my…

Customer Question
I bought a new...

I bought a new computer and want to give my old one to my son. How do I take the gmail off the old computer. I tried it once and it disappeared from my new computer.

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had this issue with your Gmail account?

About a week

Technician's Assistant: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Web browser (chrome)

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Im not sure (70 years of age, sorry)

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I loaded gmail and my accounts on new computer, then deleted from old computer and went back to new computer and all emails were gone. reloaded on old computer and they were back on new computer

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Email
10/17/2017
Email technician: Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 10 months ago
Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. What are the makes / models of your new and old computers?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Dell all in one (old and new) old is Dell Inspiron One 2330 and new is Dell inspiron 24 Model 5488 series
I have had a lot of trouble with hackers pretending to be dell. I really am leery of letting someone into my computer

With remote support, you can see everything I do on the screen, and we have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:
http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403/
Remote support is quicker and easier for you as I will do all the troubleshooting steps for you. Also, this issue can be complicated. Otherwise, I will provide written instructions.
If you go to the gmail.com website, are you able to access all your email messages there?

How about with a small amount as shown for direct remote support?
Please let me know your option; we guarantee our service. Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

I can see all emails. I prefer the written instructions. Thank you.

OK. What is the name of the program you would open on your old computer in order to access your email on the old computer?

Google Chrome
  1. On your old computer, open Google Chrome program, then go to your email in the Google Chrome program
  2. , then in your email on the old computer, click on the big letter icon (or photo icon) at the upper right corner, then click on the option Sign out
  3. , then close Google Chrome on the old computer, then re-open it and check if your email is gone from the old computer
  4. , then see if you can access your gmail fine on the new computer.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

emails are there

Great. Is your gmail email gone from your old computer now?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

no, still on old computer

Sorry, to confirm: On your old computer, you would open Google Chrome program, then go to the google / gmail.com website in Google Chrome program on the old computer, then it would show your email on the old computer. Is that correct?

If I delete google crhome on my old computer will it affect the new computer?

No, it will not. So you click on the big letter icon (or photo icon) at the upper right corner in your gmail email on the old computer, then click on the option Sign out, then that does not work.

- On your old computer, please click on Start, then click on Control Panel, then open Programs / Programs and Features (or Add/remove programs), then uninstall / remove the Google Chrome program there.

- Then your gmail email should be gone from the old computer.

Please let me know. Thank you.

I think that did it. If my son installs Chrome, will my email pop up?

Yes, it may. Can you go to the website chrome.com on the old computer, then download / reinstall Chrome there

, then open Chrome on the old computer, then do the following steps:

1. Click on the 3-dot icon at the upper right corner in Google Chrome on the old computer, then select History, then click on History
  2. Then click on the option Clear browsing data (or click on the square icon with the arrow icon)
    - (Or you may have to click on the 3-bar icon at top left, then click on Clear browsing data.)
  3. Then on the right of the item Clear the following items from, click on the dropdown list, then click on the option the beginning of time
  4. Then make sure to check all the boxes there.
  5. Then click on CLEAR BROWSING DATA at bottom
  6. Wait a bit for it to finish.
  7. Then go to gmail in Chrome on the old computer, then your email should not show up any more.

Please let me know. Thank you.

still there

Were you able to clear everything in Clear browsing data?

1. Please go to Control Panel, and uninstall Google Chrome again.

2. Does the old computer have windows xp, vista, or 7 or 8 or 10?

10
all closed We had to reinstall 8.1 on new hard drive so is not a 10
sorry

Please try:

1. Click on the 3-dot icon at the upper right corner in Google Chrome on the old computer, then click on option Settings.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom, then click on option Reset.
    - (Note: If you do not see the option Reset, then click on option Advanced at bottom, then scroll down to bottom again, then click on Reset.)
  3. Click on RESET.
  4. Wait a bit for it to finish.
  5. Close google chrome, then re-open it and check.
I just deleted chrome do you need me to re install?

No, don't reinstall, wait.

I cant get to chrome without re installing it for above instructions
  1. On the old computer, press at the same time the two keys Windows logo and R on the computer's keyboard, then type %AppData% then click OK.
  2. Delete the folder Google there.
  3. Click the word AppData at the top.
  4. Open folder Local.
  5. Open folder Google.
  6. Delete the folder Chrome.
  7. Reinstall Chrome and check.
chrome is not in folder google has crashreports and software reporter tool

- Delete both Google folders, then reinstall Chrome and check.

- If that does not work, then do the following:

3. Click on RESET.
  4. Wait a bit for it to finish.
My sub account comes up now

When you are in your sub gmail email account account, click on the big letter icon at the upper right corner, then click on Sign out, then close Chrome, then re-open it and does it still go to the sub gmail account and/or any other gmail account?

when I get into gmail, it says sign it. I click that and my subaccount comes up

In gmail, click on Sign in, then click on the small arrow icon next to your gmail email address, then click on option Remove (account), then remove all the email account(s) there.

Please let me know. Thank you.

no arrow

Is there any option to remove / delete there?

but it doesn't remove it. I have to go. I'll deal with this later.

I'm sorry. It is strange. Can I connect to your old computer and fix the issue directly for you? I do not need to connect to your new computer. Thank you.

no I don't have time

Can we continue later tonight? I stay up very late. Or we can continue tomorrow or anytime you are available. Thank you for your patience.

Let me email / provide you another solution. You can try when you are available.

STEP 1:

- On the old computer, please make sure to back up any data you need, such as documents, pictures, etc., to a USB drive.

STEP 2:

1. Press at the same time the two keys Windows logo and R on the computer's keyboard, then type control then click OK. Then the Control Panel window should open.
  2. Open User Accounts....
  3. Open User Accounts.
  4. Click on option Manage another account.
  5. Click on option Add a new user in PC settings.
  6. Click on option Add an account.
  7. Click on option Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended.) at bottom.
  8. Click on option Local account at bottom.
  9. Enter a new name for the new account (like your son's name.)
  10. Then click on Next / finish at bottom.
  11. Then click on the new account name, then change the account type to Administrator option, if available.
    - If it's not available, go to back to Control Panel > User Accounts... > User Accounts > Manage another account. Then click on the new account's name there. Then click on the option Change the account type, then select option Administrator, then click on Change Account Type at bottom.
    - If needed, please click on the website below for video instructions:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbjFUbjrVsg
  12. Once that is finished, shut down / restart the computer.
  13. Then log in with the new account name (not the old name.)
  14. Then open Control Panel > User Accounts... > User Accounts > Manage another account, then click on the old account name.
  15. Then click on option Delete the account.
  16. Then you can select option Delete Files if you want to delete all your data from the old computer, or you can select the option Keep Files.
  17. Then open Google Chrome and check.

- Then your gmail email account should be gone from the old computer now.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further; we can schedule another time. Thank you for your patience.

How is it going?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,