Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

My PC did an automatic update last night and now I cannot…

Customer Question
My PC did an...

My PC did an automatic update last night and now I cannot access Outlook. All other programs seem to work fine.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue?

Just since the overnight update. The message I am getting is "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened."

Technician's Assistant: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

It is an app on my PC. I also access through iPhone. All email comes in through Mindspring and forwards both to phone and PC. Phone works fine. PC is the problem

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I rebooted the PC. Don't know what else to try.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

That is it I guess

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Email
9/25/2017
Email technician: Richard, Email Systems Specialist replied 8 months ago
Richard, Email Systems Specialist

Hi there and welcome

What exactly happens when you try to access outlook?

Please let me know

I get the message I wrote in the last chat

Thanks, ***** ***** now came through for some reason

Which version of windows are you using?

Windows 10 online and must be latest since it updated automatically.

Thanks, ***** ***** following please

Click start, type in CMD and right click on command prompt and select run as administrator

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then try to open outlook

Let me know the results

Same message. Cannot open.

Thanks

Can you press the windows key and R to bring up the run box

Type in

outlook /resetnavpane

Press enter and tell me if it then opens please.

I got a bunch of bing options to run outlook in safe mode

You need to type it in the run box please

You need to press the windows key and R to bring up the run box

Windows cannot find 'outlook/restnavpane"

You did not put in the space before the /

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

I got cannot start message again. I eill do thr remote support

Your payment failed for it sorry

But it will start, you need to enter it in exactly as

outlook /resetnavpane

The space before the / needs to be there

I update account but no go. I retuped snd got cannot start ms outlook again

Ok, click start, type in control and click on control panel

Then type in mail in the top right and click on mail

Click on Show profiles.

Click add and add in your information.

Once done, set the new profile as the default in the dropdown box there

Then try to open outlook

let me know the results please

I tried to set up new profile. Auto did not work. Entered manual. Log on ok but test message did not go through
I think this id fruitless. I have geeksquad option so will take pc to them. Thanks for trying.

Ill connect at no extra cost for you

Click this link

download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.exe

A program will start downloading to your computer (it does not open a webpage, but the file will start downloading to your computer).

Run the program and it shows you and ID and Password.

Give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Thank you

Please refund

You will need to use the link below to obtain a refund

ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

Richard, Email Systems Specialist