Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I have Outlook 2013. Just recently I've noticed that not all…

Customer Question
I have Outlook 2013...

I have Outlook 2013. Just recently I've noticed that not all emails receiving on my iphone are making to my desktop...same email address and settings

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue?

A week.

Technician's Assistant: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Mostly on my phone

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Restarted Outlook, made sure my email server settings are correct, tried some suggestions on line...none work

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

That would be it...thanks

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Email
9/24/2017
Email technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
That problem depends in part on the specific emails that you see on your phone, but not on your computer's Outlook 2013. Are they of any particular nature, or origin? I don't wish to get any specific details of your emails, just to ascertain enough - if any - common details that might give a clue to the problem.

- If you wish I can try remotely connecting to your computer (esp. if it is a Windows computer not an Apple) - with your approval only - and see to getting a way worked out through this problem, for a small additional fee.

If you would rather not, then I can also instruct you toward a solution, somewhat more slowly.

Let me know which approach you would prefer, and I will help you as needed.

emails not pulling into my desktop is random. You can walk me through possible problem identification/solution via text please
prefer not to have you remotely connect

I'm not sure I can, but I will try. First, is your computer that the Outlook 2013 is on, a Windows PC, or an Apple?

windows

Good. Now, I will type in some instructions...

In the Ribbon, of your Outlook 2013 program window,

go to the Home tab

then to the Delete group and look for the Junk pull-down button

click on that, and select the 'Junk E-mail Options'.

Good so far?

got it

OK... in the Junk Email Options, check on the settings you have:

No Automatic Filtering

or one of the other lower options, if so, which one?

No automatic filtering is checked. One other thing that just came to mind. Prior to this issue, I was getting a window pop up in Outlook telling me of an error and the only option was to pick repair. I did this and the window never came back, but this new problem appeared. Can't remember much more of that issue.

OK. Can you see a 'Detect and Repair' option in your MS Outlook 2013, under the Help menu?

If so, choose it, and wait a while, while it is working.

Sorry, but where is the Help option?

Hold the Alt key on your keyboard, while in MS Outlook. The Help option should appear somewhere near the top.

Not sure that worked, but now see a small "?" in the upper right...is that what you are looking for?

Yes, that is probably Help, though not the one I was thinking of. If you see 'File' at the upper left, then Help should be to the right of that, if you don't see 'File' at upper left, you have the wrong screen/function.

Next to the File tab, there is HOME, S/R, Folder and View

Well then, your MS Outlook 2013 has no Detect And Repair, that's an option they used to have.

Would you be willing to re-try the Repair of your Outlook another way?

And, what anti-virus or security software does your computer have on it?

Go to Control Panel, Security, to find out for sure.

Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. What additionally do you recommend? Should I delete and replace my account settings? Do I need to remove/replace Outlook?

No, to all of those.

You might need an anti-virus and a better firewall, that's all. What you have is not enough... for the long term anyway... how old is your computer?

And I have something in mind to try to cure the problem with Outlook, but... it depends on what Windows version you have on your computer - Win 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, or XP ?

Windows 10 Pro...desktop is two years old

You might need an anti-virus and a better firewall, that's all. What you have is not enough... I suggest either one out of the major names (Symantec or 'Norton', McAfee, etc.) or else if you do not have a budget enough to pay for Symantec/Norton/McAfee software, to try

www.avast.com - both firewall and anti-virus, free of charge

or

https://www.avg.com/download - free anti-virus, and you would still need a good Firewall as well. https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php might be a good free firewall to use with AVG Free Edition Anti-virus.

Thanks...downloaded the Avast and running a scan now

Excellent. As for the Avast ... does it have a firewall too? it should. And you need one! Just one though, when a good one is installed, it usually does - and should - turn Off Windows Firewall.

As for the MS Outlook problem...you have Windows 10. Go - once the scan is done! completely done, and any cleaning operation is done too... and go then, to

Control Panel

Programs and Files

and then choose the MS Outlook program, and see if a 'Change' option comes up - let me know. (Do not choose to Uninstall MS Outlook... that's a dangerous alternative, which can sometimes be done, but only carefully and with supervision of details and pre-preparation...)

No change option. only uninstall and More....no change option in More

No REPAIR option in MORE ?

no

Then trust in Avast's Scan to find the problem, and a firewall better than Windows Firewall, to protect you in future (as well as Avast's anti-virus function.)

Let me know how it goes, please.

Not sure what else to look for. Scan found some non critical vulnerable programs, but still email missing

How did Outlook 2013 install on your computer? e.g. from a disc, from a download? or did it come pre-installed?

My son built the computer and most likely downloaded

Ask your son if the download, and the product key, are available still. If so, where they are.

MS Outlook should probably be reinstalled - after being uninstalled through Programs and Features, and then the computer restarted before the reinstall. BUT!: you *must* have the reinstall download, for sure, and the product key to authorize the install, or you will have lost the program altogether... so don't even start this, until you have those both for sure.

Does this answer your question, and can the case be rated and closed yet, do you think?

It can be closed. Thanks Russell

You're welcome. Glad if I helped, and I think I did. Before you go, please rate my answer using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!