Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Good MorningI'm trying to move Thunderbird to my new

Customer Question
Good MorningI'm trying to...

Good MorningI'm trying to move Thunderbird to my new computer and I get "Thunderbird is already running, but is not responding. The old Thunderbird process must be closed to open a new window." message

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?

HP ZBook, Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

If I'm at my computer - the PC, if I'm not - my iphone

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I removed Thunderbird, and reinstalled. I also get a message saying thunderbird is already running.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Email
9/23/2017
Email technician: AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 months ago
AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist

Hey there! my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I will do all I can to provide you with excellent service and answer your questions as quickly as possible. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• The offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept a request for one if you wish, but you do not have to.
  • Please keep this browser open, so that we do not lose contact. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will continue helping you until your question is 100% answered, please ask as many follow up questions as you want to.
I just realized I don't have time to do thid now. Can we connect later?

Good afternoon! I would be more than happy to help you resolve this. Can you clarify please what you mean by "I'm trying to move Thunderbird to my new computer"? Are you just trying to get Thunderbird setup on your new Windows 10 PC, and you used it previously on an older PC?

Yes, we can do it later. Would you like to schedule a time for us to continue? We can do a remote session and I can resolve the issue for you :)

How about 4PM PST?
PDT I guess

Alright, 7PM here in Florida, no problem! I will reply back to you here around 7PM with a link to start a remote session, and we can get it all resolved for you :)

Thanks.

No problem, see you this evening.

Can you do this now?

Yes, no problem. I have a couple questions.

1. What is the email address of the account being used in Thunderbird
  2. Did you export a file to import into the new computer?
I downloaded the current version of Thunderbird and copied my profile from my old laptop to the new one.
Hello?

Hi, my apologies. I am not normally scheduled to work at this time, so I am doing my best to stay in touch with you. Is the profile file you exported from your old Thunderbird, available on the new computer? If so, can we setup a remote session on the new computer?

I already put $ 53 on paypal, is this another $ 39??

No! That is the website offering that to you. I do not want you to do that, I am offering you a remote session at no extra cost, I just hope you rate my service as excellent when we are done.

let's do a remote session.

Alright. Before I send you the link to begin, please close all other programs, and open the Windows Explorer to the folder when you are keeping the exported Thunderbird profile file, so I know where it is. When I connect, I may uninstall it, reinstall it, reboot, and other troubleshooting methods, but at no time will I delete anything other than what I am working on.

Let me know when you are ready.

Okay, everything is closed except for firefox and explorer.

Alright. Give me 5 minutes to close out what I am working on, and I will post a link to get started!

Copy

From our interactions, I can see you are not a tech-inept person, so I do not need to overly simplify my instructions. I am about to type out a few steps without going into much detail, if you have ANY issues with them, let me know.

1. Go create a new and after this useless Gmail/Google account... you won't ever use it again.
  2. Now, in your OLD TBird installation, add that Gmail account
  3. Under the Gmail account, add the same titled folders of the folders you want to move.
  4. "Highlight all" in each folder in your Tbird account, and drag and drop them into the corresponding folder in the new Gmail account.... basically, we're copying all your old email folders into the new Gmail account.
  5. Once you have all that done...
  6. In your new Tbird installation, add the same Gmail account
  7. Now, drag and drop each folder from the Gmail account, into the TBird account..,
  8. This will copy all the messages over. You can do the same with Contacts folders.

Please take two seconds to rate my service before you leave today at the top of this page. Remember it is my service you are rating and nothing else. If you feel my service has been anything but excellent, or you have follow up questions, please let me know before rating :)

Bookmark this link to ask me questions directly in the future: http://bit.ly/AnswersByEric

K - it's going to take forever

Yeah, it might take a long freaking time, but it will at least move over all your existing data :)

Did you have any follow up questions about the process? How did it work out for you?