Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Just this afternoon, I discovered that certain emails appear…

Customer Question
Hi; just this afternoon...

Hi; just this afternoon, I discovered that certain emails appear to have been stolen from my Yahoo email account. I think this may have happened only within the past few days but am not sure. (I tried phoning Yahoo directly, but they couldn't connect me, and a voice said to try back later. I've phoned them before over different issues, to no avail.) Almost every email connected with this company appears to be missing except those of yesterday and today (Magically, they didn't get my downloads (?!)) Is there any way of getting these missing emails back/tracing to where they vanished? Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Angela

Technician's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Hi, Pearl; I'm in CA.

Technician's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at the moment

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Email
9/21/2017
Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?
  2. Are you using a web browser to access your Yahoo emails? (Like Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox or Safari)
  3. Or are you using an email program like MS Outlook 2016?
  4. Are you also accessing this SAME Yahoo email using other devices like a smartphone?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Hi, Jess;Thank you very much for your response. Here are my answers:1. Windows.
2. I believe that it's Microsoft Edge.
3. Please see 2.
4. I don't have/use a smartphone. The only other devices with which I have ever accessed this Yahoo email account is our (my husband's and my) small Alcatel Android and Samsung Galaxy 8 tablet. I have also, on 3 or 4 occasions, gone to FedEx Office to print emails when our printer was down.I have a pretty good idea what company did this and why. I won't go into it with you unless it is necessary. The only thing I want is to get those emails back. If you can securely connect to this computer and do so for me, I would be most interested in finding out more about this process before you actually do anything. Thank you very much, Angela

Hi Angela,

Thank you for writing back with that information. If you are using a web browser to access your Yahoo emails, then unfortunately, all your emails are stored in the Yahoo server, not on your computer and therefore, recovery of your emails will depend on Yahoo's recovery state. That is, if your emails are still recoverable, then you can fill out a request to restore your email to a previous state in order to recover the missing emails. The results depends on whether those missing emails are still recoverable and they will surely be restored if they were not yet overwritten on the server.

If you want to restore those missing emails, you need to submit the request but before that, in order to prevent losing the CURRENT emails since your account will be restored to previous state, you need to forward ALL emails you have now to another email account to prevent losing them as you proceed to requesting the recovery.

Here are the steps in details:

1. Access your current Yahoo emails and forward all your emails that you want to SAVE. This is important since requesting recovery of missing emails means Yahoo will restore your account to a prior state, so the emails you have now could be missing after the process. For instance, you have 300 emails now, and Yahoo restores your account a week before, and on that week you have 700 emails, then after restoring, the 700 emails will be there but the 300 that are NOT there on the prior week, will be missing after the restore process.
  2. After saving your emails (forwarding to other emails), click on the link below and create the necessary request to restore missing emails using the link below:
    Yahoo! Mail Restore Help Form or this link: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/restore.html
  3. Please wait for 24 hours for Yahoo to restore your account to a prior state.

I can help you with is to prevent this from happening again and to know if there is some sort of breach in your account security. But I can only do that through Secure Remote Assistance where I can actually check your Yahoo settings on your screen while you watch.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Hi, Jess;
Your suggestion to open a new yahoo email account is great. I hadn't thought of that. But for the past couple of hours, since I'm not computer savvy, I've been trying to open a new email acct with yahoo and only got so far as to create a name. My attempts to create a password ***** met with these weird security phone numbers and email addresses that are not mine. But somehow, in all this fumbling around, I managed to have yahoo give me an Account Key for my new account, but I can't retrieve the box that I was supposed to type the Account Key into. Could you please tell me where I go from here? Many thanks, Angela

Hi Angela,

Thank you for writing back and I'm sorry for the late reply. If you closed the original page asking for the account key, you cannot invoke it again. All you need to do is to REDO what you did to cause the getting of the account key. For instance, if you tried to add your mobile number to your new yahoo email, please try the adding again. Or if you are trying to sign in, try signing in again. When you are prompted to generate the account key to be sent to your phone, please proceed and do not close the window or page so that you can enter the key that you receive on your phone.

Thank you,

Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist