Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

The Email I was composing in Gmail disappeared when I bumped…

Customer Question
The Email I was...

The Email I was composing in Gmail disappeared when I bumped the Esc key. Is there any way to retrieve it?

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had this issue with your Gmail account?

This just happened.

Technician's Assistant: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

I was using my laptop, but I also use the Gmail phone app some times.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I've looked for it in Drafts, Send and other places to no avail.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

If the Esc Key blows everything that your working on into cyberspace, fine. I;d just like to know if there are any tricks that might help me retrieve it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Email
9/19/2017
Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. If you are using a web browser to access your Gmail account, compose a new email message, the only copy of your UNSENT email message will be saved on the Drafts folder if you are typing passed the set draft saving interval. However, if the unsent message was not yet saved to Drafts, like when you pressed Esc and the unsent email message was NOT saved to Drafts yet, unfortunately, there will be no recoverable copy available.

In that case, your only OPTION that you can try is to UNDO what the ESC key did by clicking on the mouse pointer into the message body area, then press the key combination Ctrl+Z. That is, press the Ctrl key and hold, then press the letter Z. See if your typed message will be restored.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

I found the note in Drafts (Gmail) tried Undo, Control Z, as you suggested, looked in Sent, tried Redo; and struck out on retreiving a rather long note,

Thank you for writing back. Did you say you found your unsent message in Drafts folder? If that was a long note, then I believe at some point while you were typing, Gmail already saved a part of your message in the Drafts folder.

I did say that I found the note in Gmail's Drafts. It had the addressee, the Subject that I had originally entered but the entire body of the long note was blank. Is there any way to retrieve some of all of my note after I mistakenly his the Esc key?Thanks for your help,

Unfortunately, there is no way to retrieve that long body of your unsent email apart from the Drafts folder. I believe when you have NOT typed the body of your email message, Gmail automatically saved the draft copy. And after typing the body of your email, you pressed ESC before Gmail saved the draft again so the only copy left on the Drafts folder is the blank one.

In that case, the Ctrl+Z should have worked if you did not close the ORIGINAL compose window. You can give it a try by opening a new compose window and test the Ctrl+Z combination to UNDO changes.

I had been typing it for about an hour and was proofing it when this happened. I'm confident, based on my past experience with Gmail auto saving Drafts feature, that it had been saved by that function. I had my cursor about half way down the document when I hit the Esc key by accident. I tried the Control + Z command that you suggested as soon as I found the note in Drafts - to no avail. Then I tried Edit / Undo in my Firefox browser header to no benefit.

Unfortunately, if you already closed the original "compose" box where you typed the original message, the UNDO option will no longer work. You can check it by right-clicking the mouse in the email body and see if UNDO is still active. If it is, then continue doing the UNDO until you see the email message restored. But if UNDO is greyed out, it means that the typed message was already discarded from memory.

Do you have another device like a smartphone connected to the SAME Gmail account? If yes, please try to quickly put that other device to Airplane mode to disconnect it, then check your Drafts again! See if your unsent email is restored there.

Sorry, but my bad luck day started with finding my Galaxy 4 on a plate in our K. sink, with a corner partly under water. That is being dried our @ a repair store, and not taking calls or email presently.

Ok, I was just asking because many people who lost their unsent emails found the updated draft when disconnecting any mobile device that is connected to the same Gmail account.

So you are saying that you are only accessing your Gmail account in the computer you are using now?

that is correct sir, its my laptop connected via our home wireless router.

Thank you for that confirmation. Your last chance of recovering your missing or unsaved drafts is by checking the actual contents of your computer's RAM using a RAM editor.

Please visit this link to download the tool:

https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

On that page, click on Download Page, or go to this link:

https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD

Now select the English download (5th item listed). Install it, then run it. Then click on Extras menu, click on Open RAM. There you need to open an instance of Firefox where the missing draft was created. So this is basically a tricky process and you need to try every instance of Firefox listed.

In each try, you can see the hex forms of the saved memory on the right side. When you found the missing draft, you can highlight to select it, then COPY. And then you can paste it into Notepad then back to your Gmail.

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

I've re-typed the entire note in between reading and trying your suggestions, Jess. I'm not going to download the tool you suggested now because the work is re-done, but thanks for your suggestions anyway. Also, I'm not going to rate you + or - since nothing worked and it was my mistake and not yours.
Is that tool something that I could use another time when, and not if, this happens again?Also, how do I cancel the $33 monthly membership that it took, in addition to $5, for me to get to someone like you?Thanks a lot,Jack

Hi Jack,

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry if I was not able to help you. But yes, you can download and use the tool any time if this happens again in the future.

I only get credit if you rate my service positively. But if you want a refund instead, here is the link about refunding:

ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess

Hey Jess,
I went back through our conversation notes and found where I told you that I wasn't going to rate you + or - because nothing that you suggested worked. I was unable to retrieve the note that vanished into cyberspace, which is my fault and problem and not yours.I found you to be congenial and you made every effort to be helpful, but nothing that you suggested worked, including your suggestion on how to cancel the $33 monthly membership that I got roped into, in order to ask the first question. There was some kind of ageing parameter that won't let me do that for three days, if I'm remembering correctly.The bot***** *****ne is that I had to retype the long note as best as I could and I have easily spent a half an hour communicating with you during that retyping and now after it's been sent. Your time is valuable just as mine is, so I think this is where we should leave things.
Kind Regards,
Jack

Jack,

Thank you for writing back. I am only a tech here and the site only allows me to help people with their problems or requests. But regarding matters like deposits, charges or refunds, I have no access on those information.

So please follow the procedures on the link below as to how to process your refund. Regarding the monthly subscription, I believe you can easily turn it OFF as well.

How to refund:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

How to cancel membership/subscription:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-cancel-my-subscription

Thank you,

Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist