Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Ant log in. cannot log in, i followed on screen instructions…

Customer Question
Ant log in. cannot...

Ant log in. cannot log in

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?

I followed on screen instructions i cant verify some of the questions

Technician's Assistant: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

In a nutshell on the gmail login screen enter the email i cant access click on forgot password ***** as best as i can then i get a message that says google cant verify the account

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I think thats all i got

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Email
9/19/2017
Email technician: sudipto_dutta, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 10 months ago
sudipto_dutta
sudipto_dutta, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP

Can you at least guess the password, which you used in the past to log in?

Here is the backstory.
My boss is Porfirio Ellis. His primary email was his full name:***@******.***
Unfortunately he was jailed for 8 months, during which time he lost his cellphone contract and forgot his password.
His backup email is***@******.*** and i am able to get the security code google sends, but even after i enter it, it STILL says it can't verify the account.I am at my rope's end, and I don't know where to call to get this fixed. If I can't fix it, I'll be fired for sure.
I just need to get the reset password ***** but google wont let me have one.
Email technician: syseng, Information Systems Professional replied 10 months ago
syseng
syseng, Information Systems Professional

My name is David.

Do you need further assistance?

Well, I suppose I do since I havent gotten any updates from the other guy. In a nutshell... I have an email address that I need to generate a password ***** link for, but google won't let me because I can't get past the security questions.

Ok so just to clarify, of the options that Google provides to reset the password, you have tried the one where you provide the last password ***** remember, you have tried having a verification code sent to you, but you have not been able to try the recovery email option, correct?

Exactly. I was hoping that with the verification code I could get the reset link. Nothing has worked so far.

Ok so does the email option use an email address that you cannot access anymore?

No... I have the backup email. Google sends me a verify code to it. But when I enter the code, it says Google cannot verify your account.

Ok so there are two email options. The first is the one in which Google displays portions of an email address associated to the account, sends a verification code, you enter the code and are verified. The second is the one in which you enter an email address, then they send you a verification code that you enter, then they decide whether or not you are verified. So is the second version of the email verification the one that you are doing?

I beleive you are describing option two. They decide I'm not verified and give me no further recovery options.

Do you have access to the email they display in option 1? Are you able to try option 1?

I do not beleive that option has been presented to me. It asks for a phone number that we have list, a security question that we beleive we know the answer to, the date in which the account was created which we don't know, and then option two: entry the backup email and wait for a security code. The code comes, I enter it, and it says no.
Lost. The phone number was lost.

Ok then I recommend that when you are at the password ***** screen that you keep clicking the "Try a different question" link until option 1 is displayed. If you recognize the portions of the email presented as an email account you can access, then use that option to reset the password. Since the email address presented is on the account, the verification will succeed and you will be able to reset the password.

OK. So... I'm on the backup account. Open a new tab then hit the option to add an account. I enter the email I wish to recover. Then click on forgot password. First, it asks me to complete a number for a verification code. We don't have it so I click other question. Then it prompts for the same number. So, next question. Then it asks for a second number that we DO HAVE access to. So I enter that. Then it asks for a security question. We enter what we think is the right answer. Then it asks for the backup email. We enter it. We get the code. We put it in. It says it can't verify. Then I restart the process. I hit next on each time, until it rounds back to cannot verify account. I never actually get the option to see the partial backup address.

What happens if you keep clicking the "Try a different question" link? Do other options appear?

Yeah, the ones i described before. the screenshot is the very last one. if i click on next question, it just says i cant verify the account.

Ok so since that option is not available, the account most likely does not have a backup email saved to the profile. That being the case I would recommend you focus on the security questions because they are not usually case sensitive and since you believe you know the answer to the question focus on all the permutations of that answer until you find the one that works (permutations such as spaces in the answer, punctuation if applicable) or trying different security questions by clicking through the password ***** options until a better one appears.

basically guesswork. Isn't there any other way to just get a reset link?

Well I can tell you from experience that I have been able to reset passwords using the security questions when I know the answer but the spelling may not be exactly correct - the computer does not regard the answer but only the characters and their exact order so you may be putting in the right answer just not exactly how the computer needs them to be organized in order to reset the password.

Another option is the possibility that one of the web browsers used earlier to access the account may have saved the password ***** automate login. So if you have access to any of those computers, and if the web browser used includes Firefox (for example) you could check the web browser configuration and settings pages to find the password.

No luck. The first thing I tried was passwords.Google.com but no luck there. I also managed to find a number for Google support and they flat out refused to help "for security".