Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

I am receiving mail that should go to someone else with a

Hi, I am receiving mail...
Hi, I am receiving mail that should go to someone else with a name similar to mine. Example: John Devlin, Joseph Devlin, Jacqueline Devlin. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
JA: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer: gmail
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: web browser
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None yet, The last corporation I notified that their private mail had gone to the wrong address told me it was a problem with gmail. I don't know where to start.
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I use 2 initials and my last name in my email address. I receive anything and everything from some called J. Devlin
9/18/2017
databank876
databank876, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and good afternoon.

I am sorry to hear that you are getting other people's email.

Oddly enough, it may simply be a case where spammers are trying to get their message across to people who have similar email addresses, just as in the example you provided. I myself have received numerous emails addressed to persons who have email addresses similar to mine. If you don't see your email address in the "To" or "Cc" fields, you may have been sent the message by "Bcc." If that’s the case, you won't see your email address at the top of the message.

Spammers sometimes add random email addresses into the "Bcc" field to try to get people to respond.

Here's how to report the message as spam:

(1) Open the message or select it in your inbox.
(2) Click Report Spam

I must say it will be rather hard to prevent these emails from reaching your Inbox. What you can do is check to see if the emails of this kind that you receive are from the same sender each time. If that is the case, you need to block the sender so that his/her emails won't get to your Inbox again. To block a sender, do the following:

(1) Open a message from the unwanted sender.
(2) Select "Block [Sender Name]" from the message dropdown menu.
(3) Confirm your choice.

I hope that my answer has been helpful. If so, please select 3, 4, or 5 stars and click Submit so that I can be paid for helping you because we do not get paid automatically.

Thanks for using JustAnswer and have a lovely day.

databank876
I do hope you get paid because you provided a very thorough response. However it doesn't address my particular issue. I understand there are often scammers and so on, but the mail I'm receiving is from genuine companies. When I respond to let the author of the email know I have received material in error, I often get a kind reply. The issue that irks me is, I receive mail erroneously -- sometimes confidential legal matters or medical records, unpaid bill notices and the like, from companies trying to reach a customer. I am wondering why I receive these particular kind of mailings since my address is supposed to be uniquely mine. Below is a recently received response as an example.Amy Kassay <*****@******.***>
7:11 AM (5 hours ago)to me
Dear Ms. Devlin:
Thank you for contacting MUB. We have encountered a similar issue a few weeks ago. Our customer’s electronic invoice was sent to someone with a very similar email address. We forwarded the case to Invoice Cloud, our online software company. The researched the issue and found that it is a server issue with gmail. They asked us to have you contact gmail with the error.
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Sincerely,
Amy Kassay
Customer Service Representative
Morgantown Utility Board
Phone:(###) ###-####Ext. 149
www.mub.orgBest regards,
Janet Devlin***@******.***

That is quite odd indeed. Your email address is indeed unique, so you should not be receiving other people's email. I have tried contacting Google about this issue but it is very hard to get through to them. I hope that the businesses are not using variations of your name in the "Bcc" when they send out mail, hoping that it eventually reaches the right person. Persons have been known to give incorrect email addresses to billing companies, etc., so the companies may be trying to "catch" the right client.

For the time being, however, just block the senders so that no more messages come from them.

databank876
databank876