Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Outlook express won't send or receive I went through all the…

Customer Question
Outlook express won't send...

Outlook express won't send or receive I went through all the steps repeatedly and have the same problem I am using the port 110 for incoming and the port 587 for sending

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue?

Since I changed computers and added software. Originally it would receive e mail but not send.

Technician's Assistant: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Mus be through the web browser with the pc

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I've looked up the procedure to set up the e mail in and my e mail provider told me that the port setting out was 25 and needed to change that to 587

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't if there is a common error that I'm making with putting in the information

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Email
9/16/2017
Email technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 9 months ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What is the new computer, please? Windows perhaps, if so, what Windows version, please?

Windows it was a gaming computer that I bought but all the software was gone. I bought the Microsoft office package with Windows 7
Let's see what we can do with out logging in.

OK. What MS Office package did you buy, and is it fully installed and working as far as you can tell?

Microsoft office outlook 2007. Everything was working except the out bound E mail. My provider said Att was blocking and I needed to change to port 587 I tried that but didn't seem to work. So then I stated over from the beginning with the Tools Menu to Account settings and through to the end and now it won't receive or send e mails.
Still here??

Yes, still here... I have a few other cases too... please bear with me on this.

Now, whether your settings are the problem, or the MS Outlook 2007 is the problem, is a good question. What email provider are you trying to get working with MS Outlook 2007 please?

I'm using a local that's been here for twenty years. MC .net
They are pretty good with support but haven't been able to do more than the install instructions and port settings.The install instructions are pretty straight forward.

OK. Can you try installing Thunderbird as a test? it ought to do most of the work for you, you don't have to choose it as a Default Email Client, just get it installed, with your email address and password, and see if it brings up your Inbox. Then you can uninstall Thunderbird again, and you can by this means see whether the problem is in your settings - the Thunderbird program generally applies its own settings intelligently without work, and the ability of it to find the right settings is impressive! so *if* Thunderbird works, you can get the right settings for workability from the Thunderbird program after it installs itself.

Thunderbird is available here for download:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

click on the green button, and run the download once it is downloaded - it does further downloading, and prompts you for first name, email address, and password, and that should be it. (Be sure your password ***** ***** 100 % correct, or it will not work.)

Let me know how that goes, please. I will advise further as needed.

Okay that didn't work. I hit the green button and it says save this file or cancel.
MC.net says that I need to use mail.mc.net for the incoming and out bound has to be att.net.When I go to the install instructions I'm not sure where my mail.mc.net goes or my [email protected] mc.net.
If we looked at the instructions together maybe we can walk through it and get it done. MC.net has the instruction on the website.

Thunderbird is what you are talking about, right? did the install complete or are you still stuck at trying to install T-bird?

If it installed, then it will have the right settings for MC.net.

If it isn't installed, try choosing to Save it, then after it is saved, go to Open Folder, then double-click on the Thunderbird installer file, run it, it will work.

Okay we gt the mozilla installed and went through the prompts. I closed outlook and it's not opening. not sure what to do

Open Thunderbird, now that it is installed.

Does it bring up your Inbox emails OK, for today?

If so, go to options, then see what your email account's settings are for port #s and for inbound and outbound servers, and whether they are IMAP or POP or POP3, or SMTP.

That data *if* T-bird's install works as an email client, should be a check on proper settings that should work for any email client including Outlook.

It's not opening at all now.
I may have to shut down and bring it back up

OK. Do so if that appears necessary.

I mean shut down the PC, is that Okay

Yes, quite OK!

okay we have incoming again but I just sent myself and email but it didn't go out ,I wonder if I have to authenticate the out bound server with Att?

Well, probably not. Is it in T-bird that you sent yourself a test message? then close the T-bird program, wait a half minute, open it again - do you see the test message now? in Inbox ... you should.

No I sent it through the outlook express but I have Firefox up

OK. How about Thunderbird? did that ever get working?

I change to our bound port setting as suggested by MC and that didn't seem to fix it. I wonder if the out bound port has to say outbound att.net
that got working and we are back to inbound mail again with outlook express.

Look in the Thunderbird program's Options, and/or Mail Account Settings.

That should tell you what port, what server, etc. you need to use, to get ANY email program working. If T-bird works with those settings, they are THE settings. That was the point of the exercise with installing T-bird.

Then you can try those exact settings in Outlook.

Okay the port setting is different it's port 143 in TB so I asssume both the in and out pound port will be 143 now. I will try that.
I was able to send myself and E mail from TB to my mc.net thie other differerece is the name which was mail.mc.net in TB it now shows IMAP.mc.net I will try these.
OkayJust checked and the port setting that is on mozilla is supposed to be 587 inbound is showing 143We've been at this for two hours and I'm ready to give up for today.

OK... I understand. This is rather tiring. Shall we resume tomorrow or another day?

And if not, did I at least help you some to get Outlook working?

you helped and I think there is something with the ATT as I keep getting an error message on the outbound can not find server. I will try ATT later and see if they can let me know what to do. TB verfied the port setting and I did lots of trials and errors. The in bound ports are different and I went back to the 110 port and the inbound is working.Thanks

Good so far. I'll help tomorrow if you like.

If you'd rather close this case, that's fine. Rate me if you like - favorably I hope! - thanks.

Worked for a long tie but didn't get the fix done. May have figured it out if I let him remote in but I was not comfortable with that.
I finally got the repair done myself with some study and trial and error.

I'm glad to hear that the problem has been solved, by whatever means. Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.