Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I have a new computer, transferred everything off the old…

Customer Question
I have a new...

I have a new computer, transferred everything off the old computer via external hard drive.

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?

None of the outlook info transferred, i.e., contact info incl e mail addresses, e mails, subfolder structure - only the folder names transferred, none of the e mails stored in the folders and subfolders. I've this machine for about a week, but it's Windows 10 instead of 7. But I use Office on both.

Technician's Assistant: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Through Outlook 2016.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I don't even know where to begin. Every other time I've gotten a new computer everything transferred over with no problem.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm desperate?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Email
9/14/2017
Email technician: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 11 months ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to assist you today.

Can we go ahead with a secure remote session so that I can check the backup files and Outlook myself?

Abolutely

It looks like your remote assistance request did not go through for some reason. Could you please get any payment hold cleared up with your bank, and then update your payment method one more time?

We will then go ahead with a secure remote session; thank you.

Alternatively, let me waive off the remote fee for you now, so our remote session will come at no extra charge.

Please open up the following link on your computer:

https://www.fastsupport.com/762322182
Follow the on-screen prompts to open/run the remote file, and click Yes when prompted to allow the remote connection. We will then be connected.

In interests of time, let me open up your question to our other experts who will be able to assist further; you will be automatically notified by email when another expert picks this up. Thank you,

Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 11 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Do you still need help with this problem?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Sorry Jess, I first tried to connect with the next expert who posted a response to the first's having to leave and so asked for someone else to pick up but could find no way to answer them or activate a response to them, your site has always baffled me that way, suggesting I respond to something but making it impossible to actually do so. So I started a new query about the problem, then waited while it told me "experts were considering my question".After 10 or 15 minutes I went to dinner, so didn't see your response.
I'll reopen tomorrow

Thank you for writing back. Yes, we can resume with this tomorrow when you are back and available.

Great! Probably mid to late afternoon

I am from a different time zone. Can you please tell me approximately how many hours from now will that be? It is 12:35PM here, 9/15/2017

I'm in Central, you're in Mountain. You're 1 hour earlier than me.Earlier we got my business e mails all loaded on new computer but what puzzled us was why weren't the last few weeks of stuff in their respective folders? I finally figured out, that was an effect of the backup date on the old computer. Any e mails after that date would just be in the inbox as new e mail. I just have to go through and refine them, a nice afternoon's project. Bryan got the office stuff updated to the new computer, but we lost the personal stuff, so that needs to be restored as well.Why the time lag from latest backup til now?Two months I bought a new HP super duper desktop. Best Buy didn't stock it so had it shipped.First machine instantly crashed to blue screen of death, just after my computer tech got it set up.I had to send it back to HP who, it turns out, didn't have the part so they sent it back saying they had replaced the CPU.Returned computer wasted no time crashing, sent it back again where they supposedly replaced the RAM and reloaded W 10, which meant starting from scratch.Blue Screen of Death, again.They wanted me to send it back again, I refused, insisting on a brand new computer. After 4 hours on the phone w HP they agreed, which meant whole new setup, again.Using external hard drive BU again got business and office e mails transferred, sort of.Previously both were POP3, transfers were done as IMAP.Result was folder and sub folders were transferred but the folders were all empty.Bryan got office folders retransferred with content up until last backup date included, using POP3 format. Folders are, of course Out of date because last update was over a month ago, a period of intense activity as it's my busiest time of year.I have to go through and file the individual e mails in their respective folders for business(*****@******.***) and we need to load in all the personal e mail stuff (*****@******.***).I also have questions about problems I have w new wide screen monitor and other stuff.I'm one of the best there is for property and liability insurance for mid-size to large businesses but have not a clue about this stuff.

I understand about your concerns. I can help you with this through Secure Remote Assistance. However, recovery of your data depends on the data you backed up since we cannot re-create those missing emails you mentioned, we can only bring them in to your new computer and new email setup from your backup.