Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

About one month ago the hard disk of my desk top crashed. I

Customer Question

About one month ago the hard disk of my desk top crashed. I bought a new laptop, but later on it turned out that the desk top could be repaired. I (re)installed Microsoft 365 on both computers and let Outlook running the same email address on both computers.
JA: How long has this been an issue?
Customer: sorry
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Around August 15 I noticed that sometimes an email was missing, but I assumed it was my fault (probably deleted). At August 22 I missed an important email that I certainly would never delete myself. At that time, I asked my server-hosting company whether they could replace it. I got a whole bunch of emails (of course), cleaned my inbox, but the email I sought was not among them. Well, it be so, but the last two days two things happen. Two days in a row I received all available emails from my server-hosting company (Liquid Web) and after cleaning the inbox the remaining (approx.) 180 also disappeared (remaining: 11 emails) and NONE of the remaining emails was older than, say, July 17. I used to keep about 160 emails older than July 17 before August 22.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing, but around 2 pm Microsoft send an email that it was testing my address.
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today.

First, please check the following setting on Outlook on BOTH of your computers:

Click on the File tab at the top, and then click "Account Settings".

Next, select your email account and click Change.

Next, click More settings at the bottom-right and then click on Advanced tab at the top.

You should see a check box titled: Leave a copy of messages on the server. Is it checked or unchecked?

Please let me know; thank you.