Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming
74139101

If I open an email message, then click file - save as, it

Customer Question

If I open an email message, then click file - save as, it shows the file name and the type "outlook message format - unicode (*.msg). I click save. I have done this for years and open the message again with no problem.
JA: How long has this been an issue?
Customer: Now, when I go into file explorer, I see the .msg file, but when I open it, Adobe reader comes up, with the message "adobe acrobat reader could not open .msg because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged..." this is new within the last month or two
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: I have Office 365; mostly use my pc, but also read it on my ipad.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I trie d looking for the default programs, but can find nothing that mentions "outlook message format 0 unicode"
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did not knowingly change any defaults from several months ago.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Please try this:

Right click the file and select open with... then select Outlook from the list and make sure the little box at the bottom is ticked, then click OK.

Let me know what happens.

Thank you

Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Were you able to try that?

Please reply in the chat box below.

Thank you