Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I keep getting a message periodically claiming to be from

Customer Question

I keep getting a message periodically claiming to be from MS, stating I have the Zeus Virus and to need to contact the sender at 1-***-***-**** to unlock my computer. I assume that this is fraudulent. OK after I shut down until the next attack. Recommendations?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: HP Envy 6 running windows 10; seems to occur primarily when using Chrome
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Usually thru my web browser on the computer but also sometimes on Ipad or Iphone
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Basically re running a virus scan (Webroot) and the usually have to shut down and restart.
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure what to ask.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does this issue also occur when you use the Internet program called Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

STEP 1:

1. Click on the 3-dot icon at the upper right corner in Google Chrome, then select History, then click on History
  2. Then click on the option Clear browsing data (or click on the square icon with the arrow icon)
    - (Or you may have to click on the 3-bar icon at top left, then click on Clear browsing data.)
  3. Then on the right of the item Clear the following items from, click on the dropdown list, then click on the option the beginning of time
  4. Then uncheck all boxes.
  5. Then check each box in front of these two options only: Cached images and files, and Hosted app data
  6. Then click on CLEAR BROWSING DATA at bottom
  7. Wait a bit for it to finish.

STEP 2:

1. Click on the 3-dot icon at the upper right corner in Google Chrome, then click on option Settings.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom, then click on option Reset.
    - (Note: If you do not see the option Reset, then click on option Advanced at bottom, then scroll down to bottom again, then click on Reset.)
  3. Click on RESET.
  4. Wait a bit for it to finish.
  5. Close Google Chrome.
  6. Then re-open Chrome and see if the popup issue is gone now.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,