Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I need help from an email expert for Thunderbird. I have it…

I need help from an...
I need help from an email expert for Thunderbird. I have it on my lap top and on my desk top. One use POP the other uses IMAP. I couldn't get it to function this am and now the It is downloading Old emails and current email are no longer available.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/18/2017
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using the SAME email accounts in both laptop and desktop?
  2. Are your computers running Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

One question for you first. How much experience do you have with Thunderbird?

15 years of using and fixing Thunderbird issues

do you call me?

Unfortunately, I do not provide phone support. I only provide Secure Remote Assistance which is better than a phone call since I can actually check and fix the issues myself while you watch on your screen.

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

No
Does it have to be that expensive in addition to the initial charge?
Is anyone there?

What you are seeing on your screen is the default fee for remote assistance. But if I make the offer, I can change it to the minimum which is 10.

However, I need to know the complexity of the problem first so that I can assess how long the problem can be fixed through remote access.

Are you using the SAME email accounts in both laptop and desktop?
Yes.
Are your computers running Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10?
Windows 7 Pro
what do you think?

So it means that one PC is accessing the SAME email as POP and the other is IMAP.

Now, are you saying that in the IMAP account, no emails are left? Or please tell me the condition of your IMAP access.

I see a bunch of emails that are current in the trash that I didn't put there. The last "expert?" changed my desktop PC to IMAP.
I could get or send any emails earlier to day. I got and error message I took a picture of them follow the directions. I can text (maybe email?) you the picture from my smart phone. The smart phone download a bunch of old emails and I am missing a lor of current emails. What number to text or email to send picture to?
correction: I could not get or send

You can attach the image here in our chat using the paper clip icon or the Add File button.

So you are accessing the same email account in 3 devices now: laptop, desktop and smartphone?

Which one is using IMAP?

be sure to adjust the price.
Will you log into both the laptop and the desktop at the same time. Chrome? Explorer?
Why can't he remote?
is any one there?
Repeat. Did not get an answer. Why can't he remote?

Please tell me first which device is using IMAP

I need to know if ALL of your emails are INTACT in your IMAP because that is the actual state of your emails in the server.

Imap is desktop

If your POP email downloaded the emails and then REMOVED them from the server, then your IMAP will NOT show all those emails that POP already REMOVED. And there is NO WAY or putting those emails back to the IMAP account.

Thank you. Now on the desktop, can you please check if you are only seeing few emails? Like old emails are gone?

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Thank you for accepting my additional service of remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Please follow the steps below to join me in the remote session.
For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Please click on the link below, then click on the green I Agree button, then download the remote access tool. After downloading, please run it so that you can join me in the remote session.
Here is the link:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=1da2ea25-e138-4b36-bda0-045bd680358a

Best regards,
Jess

I had help with multiple Thunderbird problems yesterday, 8-18-17. An expert helped with related maters. Today I can not get email on my desktop or my laptop. Additionally, I never gave a five star rating but the systems indicates one.
What are the options?

Thank you for writing back. We can resume with remote access when you are available today. Just let me know so that I can send you a new remote session link.

I screwed around with the settings early Sunday, 8-20-17, morning and and have had some preliminary success.
I feel pretty insecure with the situation and feel like it should be looked over by an expert. Example-reducing Thunderbird size...It seems like there should be a way to move some feles into some type of backup files from Thunderbird. I showed you how I had allowed prior "Experts" to work in Thunderbird that have netted loss of data and the empty folders you have seen. Please think about this before yo even follow up with me. It may very well be because of file size that Thunderbird behaves erratically. You saw it! Thank you. Neil P.S. Reminder I didn't get emails until Sunday from Just Answer or anybody else that you may have sent yesterday. My cell/(###) ###-####is a backup/voice or text.

Yes, reducing the size of your email profile is indeed key to optimizing TB performance. Before you do anything to optimize your TB, please create a full backup of the current profile folder.

I still suggest that you DELETE most unwanted emails from Inbox, Sent folder, and other email folders. After deleting, you COMPACT the folders.

If the size of the email profile is still that big after deleting and compacting, then we can either archive emails or move them to external location so that they will not add up to the profile size.

Regarding your late receiving or non-receiving of emails recently, it could be your email account issues, NOT of Thunderbird. If the emails DID NOT arrive in the server (you can check through the web), then there is nothing that TB can fetch.

Regarding the lost emails, I have no idea about it since I was not the expert who deleted them. I do not know the history of those email folders so I suggest that you follow up with the expert who caused this. I will not cover the recovery of these missing emails in this session/question.

I will be available for remote access tomorrow, that will be 12 hours from this posting.

Please let me know when you are available. If you can be SPECIFIC and tell me what the folder or files are to backup I can do so before then. I can create a folder on my desktop CPU that is labeled with today's date and Thunderbird backup. Once confirmed data is backed (and restorable if need be) by you. I/We can delete the unneeded /old / excessive files on thunderbird. Of course you aren't responsible for the empty folders. You also need to understand I don't want a similar recurrence. Thank you.

I suggest that you copy the CURRENT PROFILE used in your Thunderbird. To know the Profile folder, in your TBird, do the following:

Open Tools => Account Settings

On the left panel, click Local Folders

Under Local Directory in the right panel, you shall see the path of your actual folder. Click on BROWSE

Copy the PATH shown in the Explorer window, it is point to the LOCAL FOLDER path

Open another explorer window and visit the same path, then click Thunderbird. The local folder path looks like this:

C:\Users\your-username\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\y2hb5xsr.default\Mail\Local Folders

The profile folder that you need to copy is the one stored in the "Profiles" folder with the .default in its name. So you need to navigate to the Profiles folder path like below:

C:\Users\your-usernamne\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\

Then copy the folder with the .default in its name. I saw you have previous profile in the Profiles folder so you have the option to copy it too. But since we will be working only in the .default profile, I suggest you copy only that .default profile.

I have not done the above as I have been out of town for several days.
MORE IMPORTANTLY- i CANNOT GET Y EMAIL ON MY HOME COMPUTER. i HAVE TO WORK MUCH OF THE REST OF THE AFTERNOON.

Hi Neil,

Thank you for writing back. Please let me know when you want to resume with remote access. I am available today .

Best regards,

Jess

now?
What about Tuesday morning?
Hello? Anybody out there? I can be available this pm. You?
Neil Fanning
I can't wait until Tuesday. My email has not been available since you last worked on it. 1 week-10days?
Don't understand.

Thank you for writing back and I'm sorry for the late reply. I was kicked out from the chatroom that is why I was not able to reply to you. Thankfully, I am able to reply now.

When will you be available for another remote session? My normal work schedule will be tomorrow since it is Sunday today. I'll be available 20 hours from now.

Are you available? I need for you do do a thorough check and confirm all is fixed and we are finished. This has drug on way too long.
If not available, when will you be available?
Thank you.

I am available now. Please use this link for the new remote session:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=0545d317-9cf5-4d07-8bc8-4d518633c323

Are you available to finish my laptop?
Again,

I am available now. Please reply when you are ready to resume with remote session so that I can send you a new link.

are you available now?

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=133f474d-12aa-4d31-86af-af38538f7475

Please access our chat on the laptop so that the link will work and we can do the remote session there.

Are you there?

Connected.

Lost connection. I am going to bed.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist