Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

Running gmail through Outlook 2016, all mail comes in fine.

However, I cannot send any...
Running gmail through Outlook 2016, all mail comes in fine. However, I cannot send any mail. In account settings, the "Test Messages" always work, but no other emails can be sent after that.
JA: How long has this been an issue?
Customer: It has never worked on this laptop. A year (embarrased)... Window 10.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: on a phone. I can create a message on the laptop save as a draft and send from my phone
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: different outgoing ports and encryption. Also called WOW (ISP) - they suggested uninstall Outlook and re-install
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: guess not - just is strange all test messages from account settings go through fine
8/18/2017
Martin, Network Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your email.

What's the error message you get when you try to send?

0x8004DF0A

Thank you

no

The advice you were given sounds correct according to the error message but may be a little complex if you're not too tech savvy.

Creating the new profile is simple but making sure you don't lose any of your emails might be tricky.

Do you have any important emails in that PST file and is it setup as POP or IMAP?

IMAP and yes - I you save some emails
would

May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly?

I think probably not. DO you think uninstall and reinstall Outlook?
Should I try to delete the account in Outlook and re-create first?

That's fine, it's completely optional.

Locate your PST file first and copy it to a safe location and then delete the profile (not outlook) from the control panel whilst Outlook is closed

If the price is an issue I can set the % lower for you (I can't see the actual amount but I can set the percentage lower)

I am usually pretty good with the tech stuff - If I am careful and follow the instructions. Any clue why all the "Test Messages" go through fine?

Do you have any emails in the Outbox?

three

Ok, select all of those and Shift+Delete them

done

Now try sending yourself a regular email

Then send/receive and tell me if you get the same error

same error number

Ok, close Outlook then go into the control panel

Funny I tried to reply to one of the test messages from this morning and Outlook crashed and restarted. Anyway closing outlook
In settings Home

Ok, in the search type in Mail and you should see Mail32 pop up, click on that

I just see Email and App accounts when I type that in
add /remove manage email
sorry in wrong spot got Mail32 now - email accts, data files and profiles

Great work

Click Show Profiles then remove your profile and click OK

Should I do this now?

Yes, while Outlook is closed

It is just named Outlook

That's correct, click on it then remove

Removed

Ok - now go back into Mail32 and create a new profile

Call it Outlook2 or type in your name

Then enter your details and go next, once it's done let me know

Finished

Ok, do you see your profile listed in the Mail32 window?

Instead of clicking on Show Profiles this time click on Data Files

My Name

Great. Go into Data Files then click Add

okay got it - there is a data file location there - not letting me add , I get error message

Ok, no problem

Close those windows then open Outlook normally

It is loading emails in the in box

Great. Give it some time to do that, depending on the amount and your internet connection, it may take a while

I had lots, but do not remember how many - over 2500 so far

Ok - when it's done, send yourself a test email and let me know what happens

Ah.. it worked...no error message and I got the email :)

Great!

Martin, Network Engineer
You da man
You da man

Glad to hear!

If you have any problems or would like any additional assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you need anymore assistance in future, you can request me directly using this link:

http://expertmartin.com

Thank you

Martin, Network Engineer