Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

My DVD/CD Disk is not working totally. When trying to write

Customer Question

My DVD/CD Disk is not working totally. When trying to write an Audio disk both Windows Media Player and Roxio will not recognize a blank CD-R disk in the burner.
JA: When did you last update Windows Media Player?
Customer: Haven't tried yet as my computer is not that old and not sure how to request an update
JA: Anything else you want the software expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Email
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Will either program recognize a pre-recorded CD?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know when you are ready to proceed and I will return as soon as possible to assist you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still waiting for your response.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No! This is getting too expensive for no response other than asking for more money.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did check for updates to Windows Media Player and my drivers and they are all up to date according to the responses.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

You may disregard the Premium Service Offer for Remote Support. That is an automated popup initiated by the web site.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Do you have an audio CD you can use in the drive to see if it will recognize and play it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have tried an audio CD in the drive and it works fine. I have also successfully burned quite a few videos on DVD's with the drive. I am beginning to believe that the drive and Windows Media Player may not be totally compatible as I have successfully burned audio CD's with my ROXIO program. I am also trying to contact DELL to see if they have any feedback from customers about this drive and the Windows 10 version of the Media Player.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Does Roxio continue to recognize a blank CD even now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
including blank CD-R's, CD-RW's, and DVD's, whereas Windows Media Player is not reliable recognizing CD's for audio but will recognize them for digital.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Can you tell me the version of Media Player you are currently using?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My version of Windows Media Player is: 12.0.15063.332. When I check for an update the response is that I have the latest version for my computer.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Okay. Try running Windows troubleshooter. Click on the Windows Start icon and type troubleshooter. That will bring up a menu of options to choose from. Select hardware and devices and recording audio both and see what happens after it scans your computer.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

If troubleshooter doesn't find anything, try uninstalling media player then reinstall it. Press and hold the Windows key then press the R key. In the run field type or copy and paste optionalfeatures.exe and press enter. Scroll down to Media Features and expand it then uncheck Medial Player and hit OK. You will need to restart for it to complete the uninstall. To reinstall just repeat and reverse the process.