Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

On one of our PC with Edge as default browser, when we go to

Customer Question

On one of our PC with Edge as default browser, when we go to account login screen, as soon as it displays, the screen begins t fill with smoke, obscuring the field to enter the login ID into. When we use Firefox ON THE SAME PC and go to loginn, the screen dispalys normally and the smoke never appears ?? some sort of malware? PC seems fine otherwise.
JA: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?
Customer: no. actually it looks like we COULD enter the login ID right through the smoke because even throught the smoke the cursor position stays visible right over the entry field. fyi: Norton 360P and Malwarebytes do not find any problem
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Through a web browser sometimes but often on a day to day basis the outlook mail is synched with an iPhone and we rely on reading the emails there, only occasionaly going through the pc and edge.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: primarily use of Norton 360 Premiere and Norton Power Eraser, and Malwarebytes scan, and Norton technical support chat line, none of which found any malware. we have not done logon for concern that a keystroke logger or something like it may be lurking to steal password. at
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: when the smoke is filling the login screen, the url line at the top of the Edge screen DOES NOT SHOW HTTPS coming ahead of the login.live.com ........ url information This dropping of the HTTPS prefix does not seem to happen whe FIREFOX displays the logon screen
Category: Email
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Can you tell me how long this has been happening?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Right-click on the start menu button and select Run.

The Run box will open.

In the text area type: rstrui.exe and click OK.

System Restore will open. Click Next.

Put a checkmark in the Show More Restore Points box if it's there.

Select a restore date before this started happening.

Click Next and then Finish.

Continue through the warning and the restore will begin.

When it has completed, open Edge and see if the smoke has cleared.

Let me know the result please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Unfortunately for tha action I would need to be on the other PC. ... the pc I am on now is not the one where the problem occurs. .... can you tell me if similar or identical problem has been reported anywhere else? fyi Norton expert said that though the HTTPS did not show as PREFIX to the url, the login url did have https embedded in the full url (maybe encrypting only the key input FIELD?? the smoke filling screen stayed after we cleared the Edge cache ...
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
cancel our session
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Hi. I've never seen this issue before. Please run System Restore on the affected PC and

let me know how it goes. Thank you.