Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

When I am on Craigslist and want to respond to an email

Customer Question

when I am on Craigslist and want to respond to an email address for an object I am wanting to buy , I get this message: Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: This is my home computer I have had for about 4 yrs.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: on my home computer through a browser
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I talked to a tech this morning from TWC and he gave me instructions on how he thought would fix my problem and I followed them but they did not fix my trouble
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to be able to respond to an email on Criagslist for a product I want to buy. when I do try to reply to the ad I get that notice:
Category: Email
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Since you access email through your web browser, the 'default email client' is not needed, until you click on a link to an email address. That calls on the default email client, the one configured on the computer in general. That's why you get that message.

If you copy the link, and paste it into your web browser view of your email account, in the To: ***** ***** you can reply to it... but adjusting your computer could lead to a much more easy-to-use experience with craigslist Reply or Respond links. Let me know if you'd like to proceed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you I will do that. I can fix the computer later when I can afford to .

All right. I hope that what I suggested works for you meanwhile. A tip (if your computer is a Windows PC): right-click on the link in the cragslist page, and select Copy Link Location, or press 'a' after right-clicking, and then you can paste into your web browser email account's To: ***** ***** exact and full URL invoked by the craigslist email link. This may help, also.

Before you go, please rate my answer - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thanks! and have a great day.