JJesus Perez Gonzale
JJesus Perez Gonzale,
Experience:  Level II Technician at 49erShops Inc.
98617290

When I put emails into one of my many mailboxes, they just

Customer Question

When I put emails into one of my many mailboxes, they just disappear. All the other mailboxes work fine.
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: I have a MacBookPro and I'm using Mail.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Most - iphone. Second most - laptop.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Entered a question on Safire and tried that. Most of the discussion is old (some very old) and none exactly on point.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything else. Just bizarre - all other folders (mailboxes) work fine.
Category: Email
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 2 months ago.

Dear Client,

I am sorry to hear about that problem. My name is***** am a tech expert with 17 years of experience and will help you as good as I can.

Can you please first let me know which folders (and types (local, remote ones)) these are where the emails are disappearing?

Please type in the box below, then click on the "Send" button to send me your reply.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On my Mac Book, these are Google mailboxes. This is a subfolder of a folder (mailbox). The main folder works fine, as does another subfolder.Just checked: content of the subfolder DOES show up on my iPhone (hadn't checked that before).

Thanks for the clarification. So the content does not show up in "Mail" on your Mac, but does it fine on your iPhone?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry. Did not mean to select secure Remote Assist. Can you cancel that?

Yes, no problem, but I just wanted to ask if I can take a look at this remotely, because this is very odd and I would have to check a few things on your Mac to see what is going on. What do you think?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Don't like remote connections.

Thank you, ***** ***** totally understand, but am sorry, I am unable to solve this problem text-based given the complexity and the limitation of troubleshooting it without looking at it.

However, another expert might want to try it via text instead. Please let me know if I should opt out of your question and forward you to another expert, or if you´d like me to fix the problem via the proposed remote connection instead.

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please forward.
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

> When I put emails into one of my many mailboxes

What do you mean by "put"? Drag external email files into the Inbox folder of your emails or just send emails from other email address to this one?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Drag them from my inbox to this folder.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Same as I do with all other emails that I want to put into folders.
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Which Inbox and email provider are you referring to? Via web or using an email program?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know what "via web" means. I have Google mail. It's my inbox, using my email which you have.
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

"via web" means using any web browser to access the emails from the provider's web portal.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I use safari on my mac. My emails come directly into my mac, where I delete them or file them.
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

> My emails come directly into my mac, where I delete them or file them.

Are you referring to the emails managed by the built-in Mail program of macOS on your Mac?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no idea. I have a mac. I bought it with the software on it. The emails come in on it, and on my iPhone. The little apple at the top left of the screen tells me I have OS X Yosemite.
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Okay, I would recommend you upload a screenshot showing where is the location the emails disappeared. Please see below the instruction about how to capture a screenshot on Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201361

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't understand. How could this possibly help? I have a list of folders (mailboxes) on the left side of my Mail screen. Some of the mailboxes have subfolders. This one has two. The first one operates perfectly. All others (primary and sub) work perfectly. Just this one (sub)folder is a door into disappearance. Everything I put in there (all emails I drag there) simply disappear. On my iPhone, the folder has all the emails I dragged there. But, on the mac, that subfolder appears empty.
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

It seems your are referring to the IMAP folders of your Gmail box managed by the Mail app on your Mac. Am I correct?

If yes, especially everything works well on your iPhone, I would suggest a quick method and hopefully this can fix it directly: simply remove the mail account from your Mail add then add it back again. Can you do it now?

BTW, as all your mails are stored on Gmail server, so this remove and readd operations will have no impact to your mail data.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no idea of you are correct. I don't know what IMAP is. That's why I need an expert.
I have followed you advice. I didn't "remove the mail account". I deleted this particular folder relying on your advice it I would not lose the contents. I added it back. To recover the contents, I tried to "synchronize" it, per the menu, but nothing happened. How do I get the contents back?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

You have to remove the mail account otherwise the settings can't be reset.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What do you mean "remove the mail account"? How can that be done? Then, how is the account restored? I don't want to lose all my saved emails.
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

It seems a remote assistance session is necessary for now. Generally speaking, if it is a Gmail account accessed via IMAP, all the messages are actually store on the servers at Google side, you are safe to remove and add the account back without loosing any emails. However, I would like to remote access your screen to double check everything is correct before confirming you can safely remove the account.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Like I said before, I do not like to give outside people access to my computer. I did what you said before. I removed that email subfolder. Now it is gone. All the emails in it are gone. It is gone from my iPhone also! How do I get them back? I tried synching them with Google but that didn't work. HOW do I get them all back?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

You removed IMAP folder and the emails under the folders from one device, it will of course sync the changes to other devices!

I mentioned for several times, to move the mail ACCOUNT from the mail app on your Mac, NOT a FOLDER! A local account on your Mail app can be easily added back, not the data you changed for folders (which will be synced).

I am sorry, you didn't follow my instructions, and you didn't know the difference between folders and account, and sorry the data have gone.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You are supposedly the expert. You were dealing with a totally non-tech person. Will you ever learn that you have to speak in a way that a non-expert will understand, not misunderstand and go astray! You misled me.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How am I supposed to know that FOLDER, ACCOUNT, MAILBOX mean different things?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

> How am I supposed to know that FOLDER, ACCOUNT, MAILBOX mean different things?

That's why we suggested remote assistance to troubleshoot and fix things for you instead of instructing you as you have no idea about the terminology.

We are here to help you fix things, not to teach you what are things. If you prefer learning these concepts and DIY on your laptop, you should try training sites not here for support sites.

Even so, if you didn't know the difference between account and folder, you should NOT remove anything, especially when I told you to remove the account (not any folders).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If you want to be helpful, you should learn to communicate with non-techsavvy individuals, warn them of dangers, and not expect everyone who comes to you for help to have educated themselves in advance to your level of expertise.
Expert:  JJesus Perez Gonzale replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am happy to help, I believe I can assist you with this problem. Please summarize the problem you are having?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please read the earlier texting.
I think this is beyond help.

Ok, you are experiencing problems with accessing subfolders that belong to a specific account on your Mac mail?