Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

My computer is locked by an outside unknown person. I was

Customer Question

My computer is locked by an outside unknown person. I was told to call Microsoft at 1-***-***-****. Is this a valid Microsoft number?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Lenovo laptop windows 10
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: web browser.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none yet
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. That is a fake phone number; it is a fake popup message. It is a scam, so please do not call that number, and do not follow any instruction in it.

Does this issue still occur when you shutdown / restart the computer?

Or does this issue only occur when you open the Internet? etc.?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

If you cannot get rid of that fake popup message, then please try the following fix:

1. Close all programs if possible.
  2. Disconnect the power cord(s) from your internet modem / router device(s) for now.
  3. Shut down your computer.
    ; (Note: If it does not let you shut down your computer, then press and hold the Power on / off button on your computer for about 10 seconds, then it should power off.)
  4. Turn your computer back on.
  5. Open the Internet program on your computer.
    - It should display connection error or something similar.
  6. Close all the Internet pages / tabs / windows.
  7. Re-connect the power cord(s) to your internet modem / router device(s).
  8. Wait a few minutes.
  9. Open the Internet on your computer, and see if the issue is resolved now.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

This issue usually occurs when you accidentally click on a bad website link or advertisement or bad email attachment. Usually, trying my suggestion above should resolve the issue.

Is there still any issue with your computer? And/or do you need help with anything else?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,