bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Experience:  CISM / CISSP / MCSD - Azure Solutions Architect / MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure / MS MVP
96068672

I have to list Vonage phone service on the firewall list of

I have to list Vonage phone service on the firewall list of allowed programs in order to be able to use my house phone. How do I do it. The Vonage agent gave me the Vonage code. But I am not computer savy.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: My computer is an HP Pavilion (do you need the model #?) and I use windows 7.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Only on my desk top computer.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Everything works well with my computer. It's just that I can't get any phone service through my new xfiniry modem/router. the reason is that Vonage is not on the allowed list of programs to get through the Firewall.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Could you please tell me the Vonage code the agent gave you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
906 EB B4 DC 847

T​hank you. I will need to securely connect to your computer to resolve this issue. Would you like me to do this now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If you tell me where to go - I will try to do it myself.

Could you please tell me which anti-virus software you have running, if any?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no thank you! If you don't want to help me. Just let me know!

I do want to help, but I need to know what anti-virus you are running to tell you how to allow Vonage through the firewall.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't want to do that. So, if that is the only way you want to help me. I have to cancel your help. And I want my money back!

Okay, thank you, ***** ***** great day!

Just clarify:
1. Is your Vonage phone running on a separate physical box behind your firewall? Or VoIP software running on your computer?2. What kind of firewall are you referring to? OS built-in firewall or your physical router facing to the internet?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The built-in firewall is doesn't have Vonage on its allowed list. my vonage phone calls ended when my internet didn't work. Then I got a new modem/router from xfinity and then I still could not use my phone. It is all strange to me. Nobody messed with the firewall or changed anything. So why doesn't Vonage work now that the internet is fine again?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have a vonage modem that is connected to the xf. modem/router.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You have to understand I have been sent back and forth from Xfinity to vonage with anybody wanting or knowing how to help.
So much for innovating machinery and processes.I am not aware that I have VoIP software running on my computer.

If you could draw a diagram showing how the devices are connected to the internet and with each other, it would be much appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know how to draw on the computer. But I can tell you: xf modem/router is connected to the internet cable from the wall. Then there is the blue cable that connects the phone outlets in the xf mod/rout. to the appropriate online outlet in the vonage modem. The phone cable is connected to the outlet on the vonage modem. both xf mod/rout and vonage devices are plugged in the electric outlet. The internet works fine. all lights are on. the vonage device's light for online is on. the lights for the phone connection is off. There any other cables.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did everything the vonage agent told me to do to the device. the last thing he told me was to take down the firewall. Which I don't want to do. So far I know the firewall can be told to open up to certain programs.

Just moment. Let me draw it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What else do you need to know? The xf agent said he couldn't help me with the firewall task. I have to leave for several hours.So I don't know if you can finish helping me.

Is the diagram correctly showing as what you have at home?

Sorry, incorrect diagram posted. Please review this one instead.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the second diagram is mostly correct. All computers get messaged through WiFi.

Cool. Please advise the exact model number of your Vonage VoIP box and XFINITY router/modem. I guess the "built-in firewall" is referring to the XFINITY device, is it correct?

Any feedback please? FYI - the required info is for reviewing technical feasibility on changing related firewall settings.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, bbao
I don't have a smartphone with which I can go online with. Excuse me if I don't answer right away. To your question about it the "built-in-firewall is in the xf modem/router I have to say that I don't know. The vonage agent only said that he was going to take down the firewall, I thought that he meant the firewall in my computer. He said that he could only take it down and not that he could not alter it, meaning what it allows through it. And to call a xf agent to help me with that.
Okay. Don't worry about the technical details and the terminology, just leave them to me. What you need to do is just to write down the exact brand name and model number you see on each device and let me know them. I can then figure out what you need and what to do.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These are conversation all of foreign technicians that sit who knows where, with xf and with vonage. I can give you the specifications for the xf modem/router and the vonage modem. Your guess is as good as mine as what was to be done with the firewall problem. Have you ever encountered anybody with my problem? Is it the thing to do to allow a phone program to go through the firewall on one's computer? I never heard anybody having a problem like this.
Just please copy what you see on the product tags of Vonage and XF devices and type the info here word by word. I need to know what they are before concluding anything. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the vonage device: Grand Stream, Model HT802the xf modem/router: ARRIS , Model TG1682G the further on the machine: XFSETUP-558A,
password: being5208advice, wps pin: 41763407, finally the code: MTA MAC: 5CE30EE8558B

Thanks. In a meeting. To review the specs soon.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Excuse my rambling. I will have to be out several times this afternoon. I hope I gave you all the info you needed.I will check my emails when ever I come back.

Sure. No worries. Take you time.

Are you here at the moment?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am back.
Hi I am back online now from Australia.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know how far you have gotten to solve the problem. I will be available on Sunday late morning to mid afternoon. The same on Monday.

Hello. I will be available at 5pm PST. As per the document of your products, a port forwarding setting is required on the interface-facing firewall. I hope we can fix this in a remote assistance session.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for trying to help, but I am going to cancel my vonage phone service. I don't want a monthly subscription to your company. I don't need it.
Have a nice day.
Sure. Please speak to JustAnswer customer services for cancelling the subscription. They are the right people to help you on this matter.As your issue has been addressed though no longer applicable, can you please kindly accept my suggestion and rate my service to close the question? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sure, I can do that.
Thanks for that in advance.BTW, please be aware you might still have the issue even you have switched from Vonage to another provider, because it is a NAT requirement of your VoIP box to enable port forwarding on the front-end firewall.
bbao, IT Consultant
Experience: CISM / CISSP / MCSD - Azure Solutions Architect / MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure / MS MVP