IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I sent an e-mail to a hotmail address. I received an

I sent an e-mail to a hotmail address. I received an "automatic reply" stating "this e-mail account has been permanently closed". Does this sound right? Or has my account been blocked? I also sent an e-mail to the same address using another e-mail account and it didn't bounce back. Any thoughts?

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

Please type your e-mail address here (the one that seems to be blocked) and I will check if it is still active.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How will you do that? I don't want that person to know that I'm checking. He is an awesome computer programmer.

There are ways to check if an e-mail address is active or not, and the owner won't be informed that someone was running this kind of check. You can type here both yours and someone else's e-mail address that you want me to check, and I will let you know the results.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok. I'm sorry. I'm the paranoid-type. Next question. I just want to make sure that if I give you the addresses that you (or someone else) isn't going to break in and read our e-mails now that I've put them out there. (Not that there's anything there that would matter to anyone). Can you tell if I'll been blocked from that account? Thanks, Dot

Hello again!

Don't worry, I am not a hacker and I don't break into e-mail addresses. What I had in mind was a simple e-mail checker service that checks whether an e-mail address exists or not. Something like this:

http://email-checker.net/

You can go there and do the tests yourself. If the result is positive, and the e-mail address (mailbox) exists, it means the owner can receive e-mails there; however, there are cases when an e-mail address is active, but new e-mails don't come in. For example, if the mailbox quota has exceeded (no more space). A sender will immediately be notified via automatic reply that the delivery failed, and such message usually contains short reason and the error code, such as "Error: 550 Mailbox Quota Exceeded". The owner will need to delete some of the e-mails (usually those containing big attachments) to free up the space for new e-mails, and the sender will need to re-send the same e-mail since the previous one won't be automatically delivered.

As far as blocking specific senders go, most e-mail services, including Hotmail, don't inform the sender that they have been blocked nor that their e-mail wasn't delivered. It works in a way where the owner either doesn't receive an e-mail from a blocked sender, or does receive it, but the e-mail goes directly to "Spam" or "Trash", without a notification of a new e-mail, and such e-mails are usually automatically deleted within 30 days.

So, if you have been blocked, you wouldn't have received any automatic reply. To test if your account can both receive and send e-mails, you can send a test e-mail to yourself. The same e-mail should then be visible in both "Inbox" and "Sent Items".

If you received an automatic reply, check the sender of the automatic reply. If it was from "Postmaster", it means there was a problem with the delivery, so check for reason or error code; however, if it was from the same e-mail address to which you sent an e-mail, it could mean that the owner simply enabled the Automatic reply option that would automatically reply to all e-mails containing the predefined message. Such feature is usually used when you are out of office for a few days, and want to inform the senders that you are away, and will reply later.

I hope this information helps! If you require further assistance, let me know.

Regards,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. You've given me the exact information, assistance, and professional guidance that I was looking for. I really appreciate your support. Your answer was complete and spot on. Have a great day.

I am very glad I could help!
If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Before you leave, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Regards,