Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

Tech Support. I forgot my gmail password and when I try to

Customer Question

Hi Tech Support. I forgot my gmail password ***** when I try to get help, it sends me number that is incorrect so I can change my password. Help. I need to be able to change my telephone number so I can get the code to change my password.
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Gmail account?
Customer: I'm on a home computer so just today. I have recently retired and was using my work computer with no problems.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I don't think my husband has installed any updates.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

How long ago did you have the phone number on record?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Years. Possibly 15
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When will I get an answer
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, the best solution is to call the number as it will have likely been allocated by now to someone

Explain the issue and that they will be receiving a code.

Then perform the password ***** procedure again, and ask them for the code that is sent to their phone.

Then put this in and reset the password ***** your account

Let me know please the results

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The number is ***** mine. I can only see the last two digits of this number. I need my number put in to my account info. The number in there is incorrect.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, but this is the number that was given when the account was made.

Do you have any other recovery points added? Such as an email address? It will offer this when trying to reset the password.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh my god. This was not the number that was given when the account was open. Is this some kind of a joke. I know my gmail address but without the password ***** are screwed. I need help.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account unless you can remember the password. If the password ***** changed or the account was hacked then you are not going to be able to get back in. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in if you don't have the password. Gmail being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.
I am sorry to have to tell you this but unless you can remember or get access to the correct password ***** is no way back in. Google states the following "When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address. "
So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year Google has completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.
Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.
It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not good news but you are just rating me personally and not Google, their policies, or the situation itself.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what about changing my tele number through google your answer is not correct there is a way to do this. when it comes to computers, this is a no brainer
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

If you could just change the telephone number then there would be no point to the password ***** security.

As much as you may think my answer is not true, if you think it through and realize that what your suggestion would just bypass the entire security model, then you will realize what I am telling you is correct. I am sure you are going to be upset at me ect.... but that will not change the reality of the situation sorry.

If you want a proper email service where you can always have other methods through ID, Passport ect to reset the password, then you would best use a paid service instead of a free one such as Gmail.