Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I'm in San Diego with my friend, who is not very savvy with

Customer Question

I'm in San Diego with my friend, who is not very savvy with the Internet. I bought her a WiFi only tablet & am unable to sign on. We have her original password. Nothing changed since spectrum buyout. I'm not sure how to setup her tablet. I'm accessing u via my broadband tablet. It's a Samsung. Thx.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your tablet computer?
Customer: Samsung tab E, 7"
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: SM-T11 Android 4.4.4
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Not much. Signed up her WiFi & it hives authentication error.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Just how to enter the "new" mail info, that is on the page by state, b4 I submitted my question. The smtp ... Stuff.
Category: Email
Expert:  michelleclive replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.
Let me know when you could be online so that we can get started to fix this.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great. Let's do it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it costs extra to do this?

Please explain the problem a bit more in detail. You are unable to sign in to the tab can you tell me what screen you are stuck in.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No thx. U should be able to walk me thru it.

Remote assistance or a phone call will cost you additional to the amount you have already paid for fixing the tab.

i will walk you through. let me know the make and model of the tab.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Time Warner site said to change her authentication details.... Due to spectrum buyout. But I'm afraid to change her smtp settings, cuz I'm not an expert.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Copy. Stand by.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Samsung tab E
SM-T11Model SM-T113
Android 4.4.4

you are asked to update the smtp setting on which device?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This tab E.
Its brand new. I bought for her. Went to setup, & turn on her WiFi & ran into authentication problem.

check the password ***** are entering is correct or not.

Do you have a computer where you can logout and login back and let me know if it was successfully logged in?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have the original password ***** yrs ago. I have her tablet & mine, on broadband. Do u want me to try again on her new tablet, now?

yes please try it one time, you will have to logout and the login back on an old device which is already connected.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
U probably already know, but....AMS.server.san.rr.comTold us to pick our state, which is CA, & get new settings.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will try now.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Same error code."Authentication error occurred".

on the device which was already connected?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. My device is on broadband & I'm using it to talk to u.Her device is not able to link to anything.

what device is connected currently?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
None. It says authentication error.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm going to have to go back to Los Angeles. She'll call spectrum Monday. Thx anyways. Please make sure there are no charges, as I was promised b4 being transferred to you.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Hi there

If it says Authentication error, it is a problem with the password ***** the wifi network.

Where are they getting the wifi password *****?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was throughly & completely dissatisfied with this service, & never received any results. I think I was online for over an hour & a half. I've used similar sites successfully before. Perhaps the problem lies with your agreement with Spectrum?Consider this, I'm from LA & was visiting my friend in San Diego overnight. I bought her a brand new WiFi only tablet. It was Sat night, & I wanted to set it up online, before leaving for LA. We're both disabled & it'll be a long time b4 we see each other again. She showed me a paper with her password & a website for problems. Since I also had my broadband tablet, I looked up the site. It said the issue was related to the Spectrum buyout, all we needed to do was scroll down to our state, CA, look up the mail settings & change them to the new ones listed. They provided instant tech support: I explained my friend's lack of knowledge & my concern, to change any settings, since I'm setting up a new tablet, & I wanted to resolve this before leaving town within the hour. The tech assured me, that this will be easily fixed, & that I was being transferred for free, to a tech who would resolve it at no charge, & our previous conversation would arrive with the job order, so I wouldn't have to repeat it all.
Great.The very 1st thing, I was asked for a credit card to proceed. Then, repeatedly, & repeatedly, & repeatedly, if you include my first tech chat (that was supposed to arrive with my request), I had to explain, no one has access to WiFi. "Authentication error". I re-explained again, there's 2 tablets only - 1 broadband & 1 WiFi. We're unable to access her WiFi account. I'm using my broadband to chat, obviously & the other can't connect with anything, obviously. I explained the entire situation again. I even provided the website, so the tech could go there & fully understand what we were trying to do. Apparently that didn't occur, because repeatedly the tech asked, which computer or tablet was connected originally? Seriously? I mean, really? Everything about that statement told me that the tech still had absolutely no idea of what I had been trying to do.If the tech understood fundamentally, I'm visiting & I bought my friend, a TWC customer, a new WiFi tablet, & I'm using my broadband to chat with her, & we can't access WiFi, due to "authentication error" & company says it's due to buyout, just change mail specs, by state... Then, why on earth would she ask, which computer or tablet was originally connected?
NONE! EVER! Which I kept explaining. There's an obvious problem somewhere.After an hr & a half, from 1st sign on & chat to this tech, we had to leave. I told the tech as much & signed off.
I shouldn't have been charged a cent or enrolled in anything, per Spectrum's promise & agreement with this site.
Thank you for your attention in this matter.Sincerely, *****
(###) ###-####***@******.***