Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I need to recall an email how do I do that?? gmail, browser,

Customer Question

hi ma'am I need to recall an email how do I do that??
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: gmail
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: browser
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: i havent tried to do it-- I don;'t know how to do it at all
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to recall a gmail I sent
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Unfortunately, you cannot retract or recall an e-mail once you have already sent it. This is because the email program or the web browser that you are using to access your email account, nor your e-mail server, CANNOT gain access to the recipient’s email server to disallow it from accepting your mistakenly sent email or delete it when it was already received.

I hope you'll understand why that message cannot be recalled or removed from the recipient's inbox. Once your sent email is received and stored on the recipient's Inbox, you have no control of that already.

This is true to all e-mail accounts in all situations, whether free accounts or paid accounts except for users who are set up on an MS Exchange server with an environment in which both users have privileges to retract an e-mail before the recipient has read it. But with Gmail, once the email was sent and the recipient email account accepted it, Gmail cannot do anything to the said email.

There is a tool however in Gmail when used in a web browser (NOT when you use your Gmail with an email program like MS Outlook or the Mail App in Mac -- only when accessed through the web browser like Safari, etc.) that allows you to UNDO the sending of an email a few SECONDS after it is being sent. And after the time elapsed, the UNDO link is gone and the email ca no longer be recalled. And in your case, this is NO longer applicable. But in case you are using your Gmail with a web browser and you want this feature or tool for future use, here is the link on how to do it:

How to Undo Sending an Email in Gmail

I know this is not the answer that you wish to hear and I hate to be the bearer of this bad news. But please do not shoot the messenger.

I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess