Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Email indicator does not work: The lighted number indicator

Customer Question

Email indicator does not work: The lighted number indicator of new emails goes up when new email comes in but it will not go off when email message is read. The lighted number of messages continue to increase though sometimes unable to access new message. Currently, the number 6 indicates the number new messages there are in the inbox but unable to open any of them but the lighted 6 remains.
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: AOL
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Web browser on PC.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: AOL
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it!
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is there any error or message? When did this issue first occur?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10?

Do you go to the aol.com website to use email? Or do you use the AOL Desktop program? Or do you use an email program, such as Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, etc.?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,