Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

In April or May of 2015 I opened a gmail under. It was set

Customer Question

In April or May of 2015 I opened a gmail under***@******.***. It was set to automatically remember my password. This account was used on my laptop only until February of 2016 when I upgraded to an iphone. About 2 months ago I did an update on my laptop and subsequently it asked me to sign back into gmail. Problem: I did not know my password & could not get in, even though it put me through a series of steps that included my security questions. At that time I did not know about this service:(, & so opened a new gmail account under***@******.***. Problem; my iphone still stores all of my info on the original email account & I can't change it to the new one because I need to be able to access the original. Is there some way you can help me access my original email?
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Gmail account?
Customer: Since September 2016
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Almost exclusively on my laptop. I get notifications on my phone & will read them, but always respond on my laptop.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Assuming we are talking about accessing my original gmail account, I have tried multiple times going through the steps posed when you can't remember your password. Another issue with that, the alternate email you have on file to send me a code is an account that has been closed since June 2015. (My NEW gmail account has my phone #)
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Aside from my total frustration, I am a 70 year old intelligent woman who is not very tech savvy, & all I want to do is get into that original gmail account so I can recover my info and get it on my new gmail acct.
Category: Email
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. If you were accessing

your gmail in the past without having to type in a password *****'s a possibility

that your email password ***** ***** stored on the laptop. Do you recall what kind of update was done

on the laptop before it started asking you for your gmail password?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry, I do not. I periodically check for Windows updates & that is what it was. That being said, I truly do not understand why it is so difficult to just gain access to my original gmail account so that I can get my contact information back on my iphone. I am not a tech savvy person, so this ( and the fact that it is impossible to actually have a phone conversation with a live person) has been a very frustrating experience. If I can answer my security questions doesn't that mean it is probably ME asking for permission to access my account? I was going to have you connect to my laptop & fix it, but I've already "given" you $47 and feel sure that would trigger another charge.
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Hi. All I need to know is what browser you were using at the time to get into your Gmail.

Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Google Chrome
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.

Thank you. Rather than type everything out I've included a link that will show how to view stored passwords in Chrome.

There's an outside possibility that your password ***** still reside in the stored area.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/manage-view-saved-passwords-chrome

When you get challenged for your Windows password ***** the same password ***** use to log in to

the computer. I'm praying for you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I followed your instructions and found my saved passwords, but none of them will let me into***@******.***. Was this my last hope?
Expert:  Byron replied 8 months ago.