Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

Since 4pm yesterday (Sydney time) I can't connect to my

Customer Question
Hello Pearl, since 4pm yesterday...
Hello Pearl, since 4pm yesterday (Sydney time) I can't connect to my hotmail account
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Hotmail account?
Customer: since 4pm yesterday SYdney time
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: using thunderbird
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: checking imap and smtp settings, checking passwords
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i can access my mail through outlook in my browser, but thunderbird won't connect and eventually says the server has discinnected
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Email
11/19/2016
Email technician: Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. What are the settings did you try?
Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac computer?
Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have windows 10, I just checked that the settings (server name, port, user name, password, security) are correct. I use IMAP not POP.Yes, we can do a remote support session if you like.

Thank you. Please accept the remote support offer, then please click on the website below in order to connect with me remotely:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=d39d29df-b21b-4137-8657-3c35ac81f1eb
, then allow the Elsinore.ScreenConnect program to download/run/open when prompted at the bottom.
Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I don't want to pay more. The window said it would be a $5 fully refundable deposit, but I was already charged $59. Will that be refunded?

How about with the small amount as shown for direct remote support? We guarantee our service. Thank you,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Actually I already feel cheated - it's supposed to be a free trial, why did I have to pay $59 anyway?

Sorry, I'll have our customer service contact you.

Summary: I'm sorry; I tried some fixes via remote support, and it's still not working yet even though your email is still working at the hotmail.com website. You did not have more time, so please get back to us whenever you are available to continue. Thank you for your patience,

Email technician: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 1 year ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. I can continue assisting you.
Please tell me if you still require assistance with the e-mail issue?

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Please type your reply here.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi IT Miro, my problem is still not solved, but I noticed that other people are having the same problem as there is a question logged to microsoft at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-oaddacc/cannot-connect-hotmail-account-to-email-client/51504172-7be7-40fe-9422-4daa4ed2938e?rtAction=1479577045403The problem occurred at the same time for these people as for me - maybe something microsoft has done?Thanks,
Pat.

Yes, it is possible the problem is on the Microsoft's end. I will check this further and will get back to you.

Hello again!

I checked about this problem and you were right - you are not the only one experiencing this problem. Many other people cannot access their Hotmail (Outlook.com) e-mail accounts as well. Some people can only partially access their e-mail account (for example only using the Hotmail web mail interface), while others cannot access their e-mail account in any way.

There is another page describing the same problem on the Microsoft forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/thunderbird-has-suddenly-stopped-working-with/060e4016-c9b0-4d53-a147-d00f500b1a6a

I was able to find two web pages that monitor the Hotmail (Outlook.com) outage and show live updates on the world map. Based on that map, the Hotmail e-mail service is currently experiencing an outage mostly in the United Kingdom and Australia.

See those pages for live updates where you can also read other people's comments:

http://downdetector.com/status/outlook/map/

http://aussieoutages.com/status/outlook/map/

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about it, other than wait for the Hotmail support to fix the problem on their end. They are probably upgrading their servers. Hopefully, the outage won't take for much longer.

Regards,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you IT Miro - at least I can still use Outlook web mail. I will close the call.

You're welcome!

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Regards,

IT Miro, Computer Scientist