derrickonline
derrickonline, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  15 Years Information Technology Experience.
22792886

Got an email from an unknown person ( [email protected]

Customer Question

Got an email from an unknown person (***@******.*** ) stating "You are hacked". Your email (*****@******.***) has been hacked and spam is sent to all your contacts, If you don't have a lawyer, you may conatct me (at***@******.***. Best regards Mark. What do I do? Is this a scam? Can you help me? I don't want to contact this party. Thanks
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: Outlook
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Mostly through my iphone 5
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing yet. I want to report this person.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do I pay for this service- and how much?
Category: Email
Expert:  derrickonline replied 11 months ago.

I'd be more than happy to assist you. It sounds like a scam. People don't get their email account hacked and need to retain legal counsel because of it. There's a simple fix to this. First change your email account password. Make it something strong, but something you'll remember. Then if your account was actually hacked and someone was sending spam from it, they'd no longer have access to your account (because you changed the password). You can then check your sent items folder and see if you see a bunch of messages there that you didn't send. Either way, DO NOT contact the person who reached out to talking about lawyers. Even if your account was hacked that's absurd. They're clearly trying to take advantage.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Derrick- I realized the above- what you said already-I want to report this person to the authorities- who do I contact in Microsoft? Give me something-
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no thanks - what is the Outlook scam report address? Give me something
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is that it? are we done?

My apologies for the delay. Honestly this guy didn't break any laws, he lied to you. But no money exchanged hands. Short of lying to you, he didn't do anything wrong. This is such a basic yet common occurrence I can assure you the authorities will do nothing about it. Your best best is to report him to Google since he's using a Gmail address. They may cancel his account (in which case he'd just open another). Cat and mouse. You can report him here: https://support.google.com/mail/contact/abuse?hl=en

You made a smart move by researching versus paying him money to help you.