bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Experience:  CISM / CISSP / MCSD - Azure Solutions Architect / MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure / MS MVP
96068672

My Mac laptop was stolen today, so I have lost the info on

Customer Question

My Mac laptop was stolen today, so I have lost the info on one of my gmail accounts. I can log in to another gmail account because I remembered the account name and password. I had hoped that the other one would be linked to it. I thought I did that but I guess that linkage info was only stored on the Mac, not on the Google web site. How do I get access to the "lost" email account?
Category: Email
Expert:  Kris Rodgers replied 11 months ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am pretty computer savvy, so if you can just point me to where I need to go on the Google web site, and maybe hang around for a couple of minutes while I try it, that should probably be good enough.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you there? I don't need you to remotely connect, so I'm not going to accept your $19 offer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please respond. Are you doing research to find an answer to my question? Or what? I just want to know that you are there.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've been waiting since 9:43 for you to respond. What's going on?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If you don't send me some sort of response within 10 min, I'm going to close this window and call customer support tomorrow to make sure my credit card is not charged. All I'm looking for is some sort of indication that you are there.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. I believe that I have given you plenty of time to respond to me in some way, which you have not yet done. I'll be closing this window, keeping a screen shot of the one-sided conversation that has taken place and will complain to customer support tomorrow.

Sorry I had to go but I am back now and ready to have a look when you are.

Regards

Kevin

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just read your email. Are you there?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I guess you aren't. I'm calling customer support to get a refund.
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Hi There. I am Bing. It seems your case is urgent so I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Basically you want to get access to a lost Gmail account which was used by you for a long while. Is it correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had it in my list of possible emails to log onto on my old Mac, so I forgot what the actual email address was. I would just select it from the menu.
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Did you use it to send out emails to some contacts of you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You know, I don't think I really did. I just set it up a few months ago, accessed it to check for incoming email a few times, but I don't think I ever sent anything from the account.
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Was that email address ever associated with other Google services such as Google Voice?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
By the way, it's very windy here and that sometimes causes my network access to drop out temporarily. If I take a long time to respond, it may be because of that problem. Please be patient with me. Or is there a phone number I can call you on if the problem crops up again?
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Okay, it seems you have to go here to retrieve your username.

FYI

I've forgotten my Google Account username

https://support.google.com/dartsignin/answer/114766?hl=en

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hold while I try that. I think I already did try it when I was trying to resolve this on my own, but maybe not this exact link. Hold on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, I followed the link. And it is one I tried yesterday. This link is not helpful for recovering lost gmail accounts associated with the Google Account user name.This link is for recovering my Google Account username, which I have already done. That's how I was able to access the gmail account I was able to remember.
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Sorry to know that. Did you have your phone number associated with the Gmail address?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure, but probably.
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

If probably, try inputing your phone number from here. You may also check this Youtube video to see if it could help. Good luck!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hold on. I'll try the first link.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. I was able to supply my phone number and First Name and Last Name, per the prompts, but now it wants to send a text message to my phone. That probably won't work, since my phone is a land line, not a cell phone. And this still looks like it is for signing on the to Google account, which still won't help me find the lost gmail account. Wait while I try getting the text message.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm waiting for my phone to ring. Hold, please.
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

mmm... I did receive an automatic call to my land number for recovering password, but I forgot it was for Google or eBay or PayPal... :(

Wish you good luck anyway. :)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No phone call yet. The screen is waiting for me to put in the 6 digits which would be in the text message. In a couple more minutes, I'm going to click on "try another way"
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Per Google, the options for you are here.

https://support.google.com/accounts/?p=ar_other_problems_username

Choose "I forgot my password" then choose "No" for "Do you use Gmail with this account", then follow the screen instructions to do the remaining options.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried the other way, which was to login using my gmail account. I am into my Google Account at a page that has the title "Control, protect, and secure your account, all in one place." There is nothing on this page that looks like a way to find out what email accounts are associated. (I did this before I got your message.)
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

The very last resort is to let Google know the phone number you provided was a land number, let them to handle this manually, if luckily.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
First let me try both the YouTube and this final link you sent me. I'll do the link first.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, the link is another one for getting to your Google account. Not helpful. Let me try the YouTube.
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Also if it were me, I would try more to guess the email address, per my way (my personal naming convention, my unique event related to that email address or the date when the email address was created etc).

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I looked at the YouTube. It still seems to be how to get into the Google Account, and uses the text message method of getting a code to plug in where it's requested. Don't think this is going to work for me.In response to your most recent comment, if I could remember that much about the lost email, I'd have already done that.It doesn't look like you're going to be able to solve my problem. Guess I should ask customer support for a refund.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am sure you tried your best, ***** ***** problem is still not resolved.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you know what number I should call at Google to try to get help from them?
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

BTW, did you enable Find My Mac on the stolen Mac? If yes, go to iCould.com to lock your Mac.

Is your Apple ID the same Gmail address? If yes, call Apple to check the email address per your Mac's serial number (if it was directly purchased from Apple, they should have the record).

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did enable Find My Mac through iCloud.com. Per Apple Support, I clicked on the Lock button, but the Mac is offline and that won't take effect until someone tries to connect the computer to the web. That may never happen. The thief may never try to connect to the web. He may just use other means to get into the computer to access my data.My Apple ID is NOT the lost gmail address. It is a completely different address.
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Regarding how to contact Google, try if you can get to this page if you always say no and change different challenge questions.

Sorry I can't simply give you my link, as it is specific for my address.

Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Need to leave for a while. Good luck!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This still looks like how to get to the Google account. So I don't think this will work either. And based on the screen shot, you have to already know the email address.Thanks for trying.I'll request a refund now.